(Topic created on: 04-10-2022 06:14 PM)
IndiW
Hotshot
Options
Hi All

I just scanned the Esim Qr code to my Galaxy Watch 5 pro Lte 

Esim sent by O2 UK 

And I am getting above message. 

Does this mean that I have to call O2 and get them to set it up from their side?

Ta πŸ‘‹πŸ‘
0 Likes

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
AndrewL
Options

@IndiW: On your connected Galaxy smartphone, head to the Galaxy Wearable app > Watch settings > Mobile networks, and see if the eSIM has been activated from this location. Also, on the watch itself, head to Settings > Connections > Mobile networks > Auto. For further assistance, please reach out to O2 directly to ensure that the right mobile plan has been enabled on your account. 

View solution in context

Solution
CW123
Apprentice
Options

Right hope this helps, I think I've figured it out what you can and can't do. You should be able to do all 3 points you mentioned.

With both o2 and EE if your phone is on then you can use the watch fully without it being connected via bluetooth, which includes sending/receiving whatsapp message, emails. I have tested it up to 200/300m. So yes you could go for a run and leave your phone. You do have to fiddle around with a few settings to get it properly set up though, like remote connection etc.

With EE if the phone is off then watch will only work for calls, no other functions will work such as whatsapp, emails, texts etc. This is the difference between o2 & EE. EE you have this function but with o2 if phone is off the watch is useless. EE watch plan is Β£7, o2 is Β£5. The EE plan is easy to set up can do it all on your watch whereas o2 you have to go in and most times they don't know what they are doing.

Personally for the extra Β£2 I say go with EE. But EE tariffs are generally more expensive than o2, I managed to ring up and get a 30% discount and got 125GB, 12 months for Β£15. Also with EE you get 10gb on the watch and o2 only gets 1gb. Shouldn't be a problem, maybe if you listen to music whilst running that might use more data but I've not had long enough to see what an average monthly usage is

If any of that is unclear let me know, more than happy to explain and this has been a headache to get to the bottom of. Both EE and o2 being useless with their advice, and Samsung not being helpful either.

View solution in context

16 REPLIES 16
Solution
AndrewL
Options

@IndiW: On your connected Galaxy smartphone, head to the Galaxy Wearable app > Watch settings > Mobile networks, and see if the eSIM has been activated from this location. Also, on the watch itself, head to Settings > Connections > Mobile networks > Auto. For further assistance, please reach out to O2 directly to ensure that the right mobile plan has been enabled on your account. 

IndiW
Hotshot
Options
Brilliant.. Thanks buddy πŸ‘πŸ‘
wiesner8
Student
Options
The Esim connection is to your actual mobile phone number you just pay a small monthly fee I think it's around Β£7 for 10Gb of data unlimited minutes and text. Hope this helps
wiesner8
Student
Options
I even make calls from my watch 5 pro lte. I forgot my phone one morning and thought that i had lost it but called my wife from the watch and my phone was at home. The watch uses the same number as your phone
IndiW
Hotshot
Options
Sure, with O2, the phone has to be ON and I have heard, with EE the phone doesn't have to be on , in other words the watch is truly independent
CW123
Apprentice
Options

I think this may be true with o2. Having a right farce trying to sort it out. Got watch to work on LTE with phone on but doesn't work with phone off so makes the whole point of it useless to me. Surely if I've committed to a 12 months SIM only contract with o2 I can get out of it because of this. I can't believe how difficult it is to set up is.

IndiW
Hotshot
Options
Hey buddy, I may need your help,
I am with O2
Got the Esim
Scanned it to the watch (5 pro Lte)

However I haven't activated it just yet, I think I will have to call O2 and start paying Β£5

At the same time, as you said, practically it's useless, because phone has to be ON, that's why I didn't bother to activate it just yet

I might actually consider EE

Let's see
CW123
Apprentice
Options

Don't bother as you have to go instore to get it set up, they cannot do it over the phone. I went in and was sat around for about 20 mins as they weren't very confident in setting it up and also told me would work with phone off. I've just got off the live chat with o2 and explained situation with them and fair play they will credit any early termination fee I get from porting my number over to say EE. But that is my plan, I will double check with EE to make sure that watch will work if phone is off. I know Vodafone also offer plans so might speak to them too. What a headache though

IndiW
Hotshot
Options
Thanks sooooo much for the update friend. I thought there are no more O2 shops,
I think I will leave it or as you said, talk to EE,
Once you sorted, if you are OK, please share, your experience will benefit others, like myself. Tc friend. πŸ‘‹
0 Likes