Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pairing an external external heart rate monitor to samsung health

(Topic created on: 23-10-2018 08:09 AM)
Rach77
Pathfinder
Options

Has anyone tried to pair an external heart rate monitor to samsung health as a work around for poor heart rate tracking on the Galaxy Watch? I've just ordered a Tickr chest strap as its one of the listed compatible heart rate monitors on the Samsung health app. I'm hoping that when I do a boot camp style workout or a stair climb workout (the Galaxy Watch seriously fails to track both of these for me) that by pairing the Tickr with Samsung health I can track those workouts and get a heart rate graph at the end of my workout on the Samsung health app. If anyone knows if this will work could you please let me know. I'll test it out and post my findings in the next couple of days. I'm gutted that I'm having to try to use work arounds on this as the Galaxy Watch should be able to track heart rate. 

28 REPLIES 28
lorraineg57
Pioneer
Options

There is also now an app from the developer of SportyWatch called SportyGo. It's an app and not a watch face which for me is more convenient.

0 Likes
scotttalbot
First Poster
Options
I'm starting to think the Galaxy Watch is one of my worst ever purchases.. I wish I'd gone with Polar, if I'm honest.
0 Likes
2ndwindranch
Student
Options

There is another really great app for the watch called gear tracker. You have to get it from the watch downloads, I love it, works great with my polar hrm.

0 Likes
Daryl16
First Poster
Options

So to add an extra layer of complexity, my HRM strap uses ANT+, not bluetooth. Luckily, my S10e supports this, but my GW3 does not. I was successful in getting the phone app to find the HRM by performing a scan in accessories.  So here is what I found - during phone-initiated exercise, Samsung Health will bring in the external HRM data. If I initiate the exercise from the watch, it seems to use the watch sensor. As far as monitoring heart rate throughout the day (not exercising), it seems to only use the watch sensor. 

0 Likes
lorraineg57
Pioneer
Options

yes, you can link an external hrm but only from the phone app and not involving the watch at all. If you start SHealth on the watch itself, the reading comes from the watch. There is no way to link the watch itself to the external hrm without a 3rd party app/watch face. 

0 Likes
Glamprecht
Student
Options

I think Samsung intentionally dont support external devices because they believe it competes with their business. I also think they minimize the feature list strategically because every feature cost money in support and is attraction of social media debate. This is the accountants view of the world. The business view is that they are shooting themselves in the foot, because after having owned several Samsung watches, the watch 5 is my last one. My friends have Garmin and Garmin dont play silly marketing games with their valued customers. They listen, and deliver value, and features to the high-end part of the market, and so they establish long term business stability and sustainability. Samsung on the other hand cater for the masses, not for us, the opinion leaders. I believe they have not learnt about how opinion leaders reduce business costs by acting as advocates for a business and eventually run your support for you. Opinion leaders are knowledgable high-end users, but if you keep a few of them happy, they will sell your product and support your product for you. I dont believe this is the Samsung strategy. So my advice is buy a Sumsung every 10 years to play with, but buy a real watch regularly to use.

Slicster
First Poster
Options

I know this is a little old but my Galaxy Watch 6 is terrible for HR and because of this Calorie counting is way off. I did a couple of tests wearing it higher up on the wrist and it seems to be a little more accurate but does any one know if an external would work. 

0 Likes
Members_7siouwN
Student
Options

Hello from 2024 the feature is still not there :smiling-face:

Members_bE7fRyp
First Poster
Options

and still no response from moderators

0 Likes