Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear S3 on a treadmill

(Topic created on: 04-03-2018 10:04 AM)
JPT4469
Journeyman
Options

Hi

When running on a treadmill with the s3 in treadmill mode in the workout app it doesn' actually record much. Just duration and calories burnt based on heart rate I assume. Am I doing something wrong or is this all it can do unless running outside?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
chimichanga
Student
Options

Duration, calories, steps and heart rate is all it does I'm afraid. I have another watch (Huawei Watch 2 Sport), which tries to track distance (and a few other things) too, but I have to say that distance is far off the distance the treadmill gives me - it's about 20-30% off, which is a lot. So probably better that Samsung are not even trying to measure distance on a treadmill.

0 Likes
Micheltheking
Student
Options

Did you perhaps find a way to enter steps or distance manually after a treadmill session ?

I placed the fitbit on my leg but the watch does not fit.

0 Likes
mvadu
First Poster
Options

I am a new user for gear s3. I used to use Microsoft Band 2, on my treadmill.. It used to consider the temperature, running pace and heart rate to calculate calories. (more like https://www.livestrong.com/article/543949-does-the-treadmill-accurately-tell-you-the-amount-of-calor...) but gear seems to use hard-coded 100 calories per mile. Last two runs (35 min each) it showed same 300+ calories . In one of them band said 510 calories and treadmill said 415. 

0 Likes
jjchristi65
First Poster
Options

I just spent 15 minutes on Chat with Samsung support and they could not give me any answers about how to track steps taken on a treadmill on the Gear S3 Classic. This is really disappointing as I used to use the Nike+ program with my iPod and it gave accurate step information when working out on treadmill. This makes Samsung Health program virtually useless when mid winter you are using treadmill for getting steps in. Too bad Samsung doesn't figure this out especially when all kinds of other smart devices are competing for the health and fitness market.

0 Likes
Kucsi73
Student
Options

What I don't really understand, why I can't change the distance after finishing the treadmill workout. It is very simple. Time is tracked by watch accurately , HR is tracked by watch accurately so if I can fix the bad distance, calculated by the watch, I could have a precise workout data. Not a magic or a difficult functional change.

WalkingOldGuy
First Poster
Options

I live in Montana and I confronted this problem when I moved indoors with my brand shiny new S3 Frontier last winter. I finally figured out a high tech solution. Yep, I take it off and put it in my pocket. With pocketless shorts, it gets tied into the waistband drawstring. I'm pretty sure Samsung is aware of the problem, the treadmill app from Samsung Health isn't offered on the S3 Frontier. That is why I cruised the boards, I was wondering if Samsung has fixed that with the 46mm US watch? Truthfully after living through the battery drain crisis that an update did fix, I love my Frontier, and if they fixed this and offered the treadmill app, with a working, non arm dependent step counter, I'd upgrade in a heartbeat. Outside, the Frontier is amazing at tracking my 10K treks around my mountain town.

0 Likes
Ryanpm
First Poster
Options

It would be great if it even was just able to be adjusted for your height and stride. At the end of the workout, ask if the distance is accurate and if not, allow us to modify it. Heck, I could do that on my old Fuelband. Come on Samsung, you're better than this!

Svndile
First Poster
Options

New Gear S3 Frontier user here. I hate to say it, but it's such a terrible device for tracking treadmill runs. My Garmin Forerunner was way better. Like someone said earlier, I wish there was a way to input distance after a workout because it is so inaccurate.

0 Likes