Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch5 doesn't detect wearing on a tattooed wrist

(Topic created on: 05-09-2022 09:24 AM)
Zhenya
Student
Options

Hey there! I've just bought my new Galaxy Watch5 and found out it's not detecting it's worn on my tattooed left wrist, therefore, I'm not getting any notifications, my sleep is not being tracked and some other nuisances... However, I still can initiate pulse and oxygen measurements manually. Also, calls are coming through.

I haven't got this at once. I rebooted both devices, reinstalled the app, and only when I tried it on the right hand where I have no tattoos, it started working as intended. 

I also tested this with my spouse's Galaxy Watch4, and it didn't work on the tattooed wrist, and worked on the other one.

Previously I have Galaxy Watch2, and it worked on the tattooed wrist just fine. I guess it was because there was an option for getting notifications while not worn. In Watch5 this option is gone.

It's so disappointing. I'm a rightie, so it's highly uncomfortable to wear a watch on my right hand =( Does anyone know how this can be addressed? Is there any chance an option for enabling working while not detected worn be added back?

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
Bobr1384
Pioneer
Options

I wish/hope there's a way Samsung decides to do the right thing and bring back the notification setting that allows ALL notifications to come through regardless of whether the piece of s#hit watch thinks you're wearing it or not. To say it's dumb Samsung chose to remove this basic setting on the watch 4 after having it on every single watch they've had prior to that is an understatement. When I bought both versions of the watch 4, I was guaranteed by their customer service reps it would be fixed with an update. We'll we're now a year later and still nothing. I've got 2 watch 4's, and a brand new watch 5 sitting in my drawer and I'm stuck wearing a refurbished watch 3 simply because that allows all notifications on my sleeved arm/wrist. The watch 4 and 5 allow navigation/alarm/calendar reminders if you're not wearing it. It can't be difficult to fix if Samsung gave one ***** about their loyal customer base. I really wish I knew a popular youtuber/influencer that could get this complete joke to be seen by the right person. 

WelshPaul
Troubleshooter
Options

Why would you buy a watch 5 if the watch 4 doesn't work with tattoos? They're the same hardware. Return it!

The Watch 4 and 5 run on Wear OS, Watch 3 and under Tizen. It's likely the feature is missing because Google haven't implemented it or Google won't add it for privacy/security reasons (I'm speculating here). Google are responsible for Wear OS and as far as I know Samsung just put their One UI skin on top?

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung iPhone user.

Current Devices:
  • iPhone 14 Pro 256GB Deep Purple
  • Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
0 Likes
Zhenya
Student
Options

I didn't buy both 4 and 5 - I bought only the 5th and my tattooless spouse already had the 4th, so only when I noticed the issue, I decided to check his.

Anyway, it's such a bummer =(

0 Likes
Edgars_1
Apprentice
Options

Bought Galaxy Watch 5 and have the same problem with sensors not working because of my wrist tattoo. This was my first and seems to be last Samsung watch... Cheapest Xiaomi watch was working with no problems. Extremely disappointed 😞

0 Likes
Curr946
Explorer
Options

Yup, just took out a new 22+ bundled with watch 5 pro, and so peved that my old a$$ gear 3 had better usability than this 500 pound turd. Wish I could return, but stuck with it as part of the phone deal. I did the stupid thing and did a trade in... #regrets 

0 Likes
Silentaim15G
First Poster
Options

Take a piece of Scotch tape fold it around itself three or four times place it over the sensor then tape it down with more Scotch tape in an x pattern take a skin colored cloth bandaid and cut off one side do not use the gauze place it over the sensor as well should be good you can charge with this as well you will have to replace occasionally. This is the fix that I found that works the best for me.

0 Likes
ChazMraz
First Poster
Options

I ran into the same issues with the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic with both arms sleeved.

One fix I found on Reddit that actually fixed it for me was buying "1 Inch Round Epoxy Stickers" on Amazon. If you stick one of those on the back of the watch, over the sensor it should work. Atleast it did for the Watch 4!

Hope this helps someone dealing with this annoying issue. 

0 Likes
Visaka Sripravet
First Poster
Options

Same, I've tattoo and it's not working properly. So disappointed .

0 Likes
qamar abbas
First Poster
Options

i have the same issue with my Samsung and apple watch on tattoos

0 Likes