Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch Stops Recording work out part way through

(Topic created on: 26-02-2022 10:53 PM)
Seftonbarn
Journeyman
Options

So this is really annoying now.  For months the watch has been fine but a couple of weeks ago now I got half way through a run and the watch stopped recording.  I use the watches work out app, select running (basic work out) and press start.  It records for about 10 minutes and then stops.   So a couple of days ago I set the screen to stary on during the run and it was fine for one run.  I ran again today and again it stoped after about 2km; no record of the run at all.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

231 REPLIES 231
shironi
First Poster
Options

Having the same issue with my Galaxy 4 watch since this week.
The Running lasts about 1-2km and then stops on its own, not recording the exercise.

For  a watch that is new (about a month old), this is vastly disappointing; easily tracking my workouts was the main reason for getting the watch, but now it is useless in that regard.

Also the fact that this problem has been there for 2 years without a fix is bizzare.

teeravuss
First Poster
Options

I just got my Galaxy Watch 4 last week (2-19-2022) and went hiking the next day. It would track for maybe 5 minutes and then randomly STOP. I'd start it back up, and it'd randomly--within 2 to 5 minutes--stop again. I tried tracking a walk in my neighborhood the day after that, with the same frustrating results. I then restarted, and was able to track over a mile without issue. I walked my neighborhood today (2-26-2022) and within 5 minutes, it stopped tracking. I restarted and then the watch tracked the rest of the walk without issue. Having this same issue randomly pop up, and sorta get temporarily fixed with a restart, is QUITE frustrating. Especially for a BRAND NEW watch. WTF, Samsung???

Sally Anne
Student
Options

So two years later and no fix yet?  I have the Galaxy 4 watch and Note 10+.  All of my software is up to date and I'm using no other programs while I'm exercising.  I'm doing a fund raiser that I need to be able to keep track of the miles I'm walking.  Help, please!

Members_EEoKnhF
Student
Options

So annoying and I'm so disappointed with this... It's happening with my new watch 4 + s21 ultra. Bought the watch to track running and it's worse than having just the phone with me... 

0 Likes
LiziJ
First Poster
Options

I have had this issue for a couple of weeks now. The watch and exercise sessions were fine at first (I have had the watch a couple of months) but now it will track exercise (walking) for between 2 and 10 minutes and then just stop. Can it be returned and is it still under warranty because this is no good at all. I bought it for tracking exercise and it seems that it cannot do that. 

0 Likes
joestram
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I've been experiencing this issue too, however, notice it only happens when in range of the phone.

Could this be an NFC related issue on the phone or watch?

I've noticed in the past when my other phone (iPhone) gets a notification and my wrist is nearby, my watch will complain about being unable to connect to gym equipment.

Not sure if there is a setting to disable this on the watch or if it will even help.

Joe

0 Likes
_Charles
First Poster
Options

I am a new user of a Galaxy 4 as of March 2022, had similar problems, and can offer two solutions and an explanation.

If you are mainly interested in getting your exercise start and stop times recorded, you can use the "Other workout" option.  You have to start this manually and also stop it manually.  If you want to record what your "Other workout" was, you will also need to make a note manually.

If you want to use the auto-detection to start an exercise like walking or bicycling, or if you want to manually start such an exercise, you should sign up in the Samsung Health app and enter your age.

I think the underlying problem is that the watch is assessing whether or not you are exercising based on characteristic physical movements of the watch and on repeated measurements of your heart rate relative to a target heart rate that depends on your age.  The minimum target heart rate is something like 50 percent of a maximum heart rate that is 220 minus your age.  If your age is unknown, a default age of 0 gives a half-of-maximum heart rate of 110 bpm.  That is too high, especially if you are older, already in good shape, or both.  A low-intensity workout won't get flagged as exercise, and when you are exercising and your heart rate falls below the too-high threshold for 60 seconds, the auto-detect will determine that you have stopped exercising and end the session.

Charles

0 Likes
Sally Anne
Student
Options

Thank you for your response, but I specifically told it I was walking and it shut down.  Then I told it I was doing the "other workout," and it still shut down.  I am signed up for Samsung Health and I think it knows everything but my shoe size.  I'm going to try and tell it how far I want to walk in my workout and see if that keeps it turned on.

0 Likes
Lauraj300
First Poster
Options

Go into Samsung Health App on your phone >go to Settings in that App > then click on ERASE PERSONAL DATA. Also turn off & on the watch to reset it. Then relog into your Samsung Health App and once it syncs back up to the watch, this seems to fix the problem. It may have to do with maxing out data stored within that app. 

0 Likes
MRB773
First Poster
Options

I've started having this issue with my galaxy watch 3 and got ecited when I saw this fix/workaround.  Sadly, I'm having issues with treadmill, exercise bike, and circuit training.  None have an autopause feature, so it must be something else.

I also noticed on a treadmill run that DIDN'T end, had serious heart rate issues.  

I feel like the watch is locking up.

Going back to my garmin.

0 Likes