Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Buds Volume and Balance Issue

(Topic created on: 28-03-2019 03:05 PM)
Electr0
Explorer
Options

!! ALL POSSIBLE FIXES LISTED BELOW !!

Wow... two years later and people are still having this problem.
I decided that I'd go though this massive thread and try to compile all the possible fixes, to make it easier for people to (hopefully) find a solution that works for them. Let's go...!

1. Pair with another non-galaxy device

1. Pair to your Galaxy Phone
  2. Setup using Galaxy Wearables app
  3. Reset using Galaxy Wearables app
  4. Place the Buds in the case and wait at least 10 seconds
  5. Remove Buds from the case & Pair with your other non-galaxy device
  6. Un-pair from your other non-galaxy device
  7. Place Buds back in the case and wait at least 10 seconds
  8. Re-pair to you Galaxy Phone and setup using the Galaxy Wearables app.

2. Blow on the speaker driver

1. Remove the silicon cap on the faulty ear-bud
  2. Cover the ear piece with you mouth and blow VERY GENTLY

3. Clean the metal mesh under the cover

1. Remove the factory wax/glue from the sound exit grid
  2. Remove the metal grid (it will require a tool, eg. use a small pocket knife) and the dark mesh under it
  3. Clean the mesh under the grid (possibly ear wax between the mesh and the metal grid)
  4. Put back the mesh and the grid

4. Check for defects and ensure proper charging

1. Check for dents on the faulty ear bud
  2. Ensure they sit in the case properly
  3. Charge the ear buds fully
    1. Place the ear buds in the case once at a time
    2. Make sure that the case registers both of them - the central light in the case flashes when each bud is placed correctly.
    3. Make sure each ear bud is "seated" correctly
    4. Leave them to charge for a minimum of 20 mins 

5. Toggle "Call Audio" and "Media Audio"

1. Open the bluetooth menu
  2. Navigate to the Galaxy Buds settings
  3. Turn off, then on: "Call Audio" and "Media Audio"

6. Adjust "Media Volume Sync"

1. Open Bluetooth settings -> Advanced
  2. Turn on "Media Volume Sync"
  3. Go to Settings -> Accessibility -> Hearing Enhancements
  4. Adjust the balance of the ear buds

7. Battery Discharge

1. Fully discharge both the ear buds and case to 0%
  2. Fully charge both the ear buds and case to 100%

8. Reconnect Speaker Cable

1. Take you ear buds apart completely
  2. Disconnect then reconnected the ribbon cable to the speaker
  3. Reassemble the ear buds

9. Throw them against a wall  😅 (?)

10. Reset the ear buds

1. Go into the Galaxy Wearables app and then into "About earbuds"
  2. Click "Reset earbuds"

I hope that at least one of these solutions will get them working again for you.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far!

Good Luck! 🤞

1. Hey All,

I've been using my Galaxy Buds for about 2 days now and this afternoon when I put then in, I noticed that the right earbud is significantly quiter than the left. I would say about 75% quieter.

When I put the left bud in, it chime as usual, but now when I but the right bud it, it doesn't chime at all.

I've tried up-paring and re-pairing them to my Galaxy S10+ and have also reset them from within the Galaxy Wearables. My Galaxy Wearables app is up to date, as is the.software on my Galaxy Buds. 

Has anyone else had this issue? 

Is seems that lots of people had this issue wi h the 2018 IconX Buds, could if be something similar? 

Go to solution
194 REPLIES 194
darkstar75
First Poster
Options

I have worked on this issue off and on for a month now. I tried everything I could find on forums and youtube videos. Tried unpairing and resetting, manual setting volume adjustment on earbuds, connecting to PC and other phones, general cleaning, trying to reset balance, deleting the app and adding it again and more. 

This is a design problem. Take off the rubber earplugs and look the the speaker tips. See that shiney round metal grill? Underneath that metal grill with all the really tiny holes is a peice of cloth or cloth foam that prevents sweat and earwax from getting into the electronics or blocking the passage to the actual speaker which is in the larger part of the buds.

The cloth under the speaker grill gets soaked in sweat and ear wax and such and basically becomes a sound blocker. 

Use a small blade to carefully pry off the metal grill and then use the same blade to peel out the round cloth. Clean it, replace both and your sound is balanced again and everything works great. 

Jacko20
First Poster
Options

I second that. This absolutely works.

0 Likes
Bacon13
Student
Options

How small of a blade are we talking here?  This thing is freaking tiny and I have been using a micro precision flat blade screwdriver head and can't get it off there.

0 Likes
forensic6
Student
Options

I used a regular pocket knife.  An thinner blade is probably a good idea.  That said, it worked perfect for me.  Take it easy and don't be afraid to apply moderate pressure. 

Bacon13
Student
Options

Well, I finally got it off and did the best cleaning I could.  It is better than the 75% volume loss I was getting, but still about 25% less than the other bud.  Seems a little ridiculous for something that costs so much.

UsmanZ
First Poster
Options
THIS WORKS! Probably the ONLY Solution since I tried everything else!

It took a few tries, I blew a little harder 3-4 times in the mesh grill and now the volume seems to have become equal in both ears. Brilliant! Thank you JayLay!
0 Likes
lcalbero
First Poster
Options

Difficult to believe that, but I tried to pair, unpair, reset, etc.

They I get a very sharp blade, removed a very thin (almost invisible) layer of "glue" around the shinny metal cover, then could easily peal it off and could believe, but you are right. Behind it, still using the tip of the blade, very gently, rubbered a few times and could see some ear wax (but its almost NOTHING) deposited there. Cleaned it gently, 10 times, just scrubbing the tip of the knife, and put it back. 100% working. Thank you.

0 Likes
FlorieJoy
Samsung Helper
Options
Worked well thank you
0 Likes
EllisG
First Poster
Options
I have the same issue but with the left so I am begging to wonder if I blew the main speaker or not
0 Likes
Calijor
First Poster
Options
Nope, just fixed it for myself by prying off the grille and removing the little cloth pad. Didn't really clean it personally as it wasn't that gross, basically just picked it up and put it back and then it worked. I think it might be an air pressure thing somehow, not sure. Personally the issue coincided with cleaning the tips in alcohol but now I don't think that had anything to do with it.
0 Likes