Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Extremely inaccurate sleep measurement in Galaxy Watch6 Classic

(Topic created on: 23-08-2023 07:59 AM)
MRashid
Pioneer
Options
I have recently got a Galaxy watch6 classic, LTE version. I have been using Samsung smart watches to track my sleep and other health metrics since years. I am very much concerned this time that the sleep measured by the watch6 classic seems to be very inaccurate. The first day I used it, it didn't record the sleep at all. Since the second day it started recording sleep but it seems to detect the sleep hours later than when I fall asleep. It also doesn't record any of the deep sleep stage eg. since 5th of August, when the watch came it never picked up a single period of deep sleep. There also seems to be a new rule of measuring sleep statistically rather than using the sensor. I often noticed when I am at work during a night shift, at 12am to 1am in the mid night it starts recording sleep, and automatically goes to sleep mode even though I used to be very much physically active during that time. Another new rule I've noticed is that it doesn't record sleep for a second time in one day. During my off day yesterday I slept for at least 10 hours. I went to bed at 9pm and woke up approximately at 7am inext day morning. I woke up in the middle at 4:13am to use the bathroom. When I checked the watch6 classic it only showed me 4h 9m of sleep, starting from 12:05am to 4:14am, till when I used the bathroom. After using ot since two weeks, It is clear to me now that my Watch6 misses the majority of the sleep to record and will record sleep only once a day depending on some statistical rule rather than using the sensor to detect the sleep pattern match. I had a Watch4 classic before this and the sleep measurement has always been very very accurate on that watch. The Watch6 classic has got numerous bugs and issues eg. another of which is not receiving any phone notifications in the watch for which I had to reset the watch many many times over the last two weeks ( I explained it in detatils in a separeate thread ). I cant beleive, I have spent my £413 for such a good looking rubbish item. I am extremely, deeply disappointed by this new watch. My Watch4 classic was way better than this - at least in measuring the health metrics. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
EdNet
Pioneer
Options

You are right, though i see a lot of users complaining about this!

Maybe we should write reviews at websites that sell this watch, put some pressure on them.

View solution in context

28 REPLIES 28
GusB
Big Cheese
Options
Considering the release of the watch6 had a big spiel on 'enhanced sleep tracking' Im inclined to agree with you...my deep sleep recorded has gone from a regular circa 1hr15m to 17mins...which is a big change in measurement.

I don't have any medical grade or professional sleep tracking to compare it to though.

Hopefully things that can be fixed but do get a bit fed up with tech companies using early adopters as testers all the time...seems the way of the world though with complex software.

With re: to notifications, I have also experienced issues with this and found clearing the watch cache on the recovery screen resolved it on both occasions..
MRashid
Pioneer
Options
I can only get get rid of the notification issue when I reset the watch. But it comes back within 2 days of usage everytime I reset it. I though do not have the slightest idea how to fix sleep detection issues. It didn't change even after restting a number of times. Looking forward toward a software updat hoping Samsung will fix it.
0 Likes
busterbrock
Voyager
Options
Mine is fine here 😁👌😁
0 Likes
KatB_
Explorer
Options

I created a discussion of my own at the beginning of August. I experience the same issue with deep sleep tracking. I found a review done by Phone Arena and they were the first to confirm that there is a larger issue with deep sleep/sleep tracking as I thought my watch must be faulty.

First two nights I had 0m deep sleep and now the maximum I've got is 45m. Sleep score also seems off as it says my sleep score is 90 while I've had 7m of deep sleep.

I do hope with the next OS upgrades they will fix the bugs as this is quite frustrating. I have sleep issues and keeping track of my deep sleep is crucial for me to know when I should take extra measures to get my sleep on track. And now it is all over the place.

MRashid
Pioneer
Options
Today I got some accurate sleep record after having few days for which my watch wasn't even picking up my sleep at all. There was a setting in the permission manager for the Samsung health and health monitor app, the sensor permission. For both of these apps the sensor permission was set to "Allow only when using the app" rather tahn "Allow all the time". I changed it to "Allow all the time" and seems to resolve the issue for the night. I will have to see for a few more night before I can call it a final solution though. I got 40mins of deep sleep today in the measurement. Thats my typical range. I however looked for the same setting in the sensor permission about a week ago or so and didn't see "allow all the time" to be an option given in there. It might be some update or something that happened in the background which I didn't notice.Screenshot_20230902_121124_Samsung Health.jpgScreenshot_20230902_121120_Samsung Health.jpg
0 Likes
MRashid
Pioneer
Options
Today it again failed to measure sleep and I discovered for all those Samsung health related apps "Allow all the time" settings has disappeared for the sensor and "allow while using the app" is only available. This must be causing this issue!
0 Likes
KatB_
Explorer
Options

I followed this advice as well and noticed the same thing. Sensors were switched off (I have never done it), but I could also set it only to "allow while using the app". Also nothing changed in the results. This clearly is an OS issue as people with GW5 have confirmed that after an update to IU5 deep sleep tracking stopped working.

0 Likes
EdNet
Pioneer
Options

I have the same problems with my Galaxy watch 6. 

Like you i am deeply disappointed in this new Galaxy watch 6 and the way Samsung (not) admitting the problems with this watch and fix this.

0 Likes
MRashid
Pioneer
Options
They are getting away with this because only a very small proportion of the watch owners wear the watch during sleep and care about sleep tracking. The majority of the GW6 owners didn't even realize that they are using a watch with completely broken sleep tracking feature. Mine isn't tracking sleep at all since two weeks. Probably this is Samsung's way of extending battery life of the watch by blocking the sensors for features that are less often used by users. Definitely not a fair way of treating customers by luring them with "improved sleep tracking" false advert.