Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ue65tu8500 HDR to Dark

(Topic created on: 28-10-2020 03:44 PM)
Fawcett
First Poster
Options

Hi all

hope you can help me, I just purchased a ue65tu8500, but when im watching hdr content from the built-in apps and my firestick the picture is really dark - sometimes unwatchable

I have my brightness and contract also set to max 😞

anyone offer any advise

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hi @Fawcett ,

can you send me an example of this? Is the TV running on the latest software version (version 1402.4)? You can check this from the TV Settings> Support> About this TV/Contact Samsung. 

0 Likes
Fawcett
First Poster
Options

Hello

I can confirm im on the latest version that you stated above, i can confirm the darkness issues only seem to be when HDR is in use

example HDR on amazon and Netflix

ill pm you an example

0 Likes
Members_J0PfpJV
First Poster
Options

Is there any update on this? My 55 Inch unit has the same issue. (to be honest I think the whole 8500 series suffers from this problem)

CaptainFastcat
Explorer
Options

I have the same problem with the TV. I'm on firmware 1460.9

The best settings I've come up with for HDR so far are:

Brightness: 50

Contrast: 50

Sharpness: 0

Colour: 36

Tint: 0

Contrast Enhancer: Low

Colour Tone: Warm1

Gamma (ST.2084): 3

Shadow Detail: 1

Colour Space: Native

This brightens the image to make it watchable, but lessens the HDR effect.

I think the main issue is that this TV just isn't bright enough to perform well with HDR content. It shouldn't be sold as an HDR TV. I'm disappointed with mine, but stuck with it since I've had it longer than the return period from the shop I bought it from.

It's really not ok that Samsung market this TV as HDR capable when it's really not.

0 Likes
Jon123456789
First Poster
Options

I also am having the same issues.

fiddling with the picture settings in expert mode has no acceptable effect. the only thing that worked was to reduce the quality of stream to SD - which is completely unacceptable for a 4k UHD TV.

---------

after spending 2 hours in live chat I have come to an acceptable solution. how or why it worked I know not. (also I must note my greatest issue is with streaming from Netflix HD)

1. Reset TV to factory default

2. Change DNS to 8.8.8.8

3. Reset smart hub, then setup again.

* now i can stream HD without brightness and contrast maxed out. Shadow detail is still at 4/5...contrast enhancement is at low. 

greater research about samsung and netflix shows this is maybe an issue between the two companies. i do not know. hope this helps...

0 Likes