Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sources - Unknown or HDMI 1

(Topic created on: 02-01-2019 05:02 PM)
jakudo
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

Last year, my brother bougt a TV UE55MU6172U. Few weeks ago, I bought a TV UE65NU7172. We both bought Apple TV 4K, connected it to the TVs. His TV recognize it in Sources as Apple TV, rename it to APple TV and change the icon. I've done the same, but always says only HDMI 1 (or 2 or 3...). Any idea why my TV doesn't recognize it? I know it's a minor problem, but I like it the way, my brother has it :smiling-face:

Any idea?

Thanks, Jakub

IMG_1765.jpegIMG_7597.jpeg

37 REPLIES 37
Niquex
Apprentice
Options

Same problem, purchased this Q70R 55" tv around a month ago

Worked fine up until yesterday

No longer recognizes my Apple TV 4K, says "Unknown"

What's going on here?

How can their TV software be THIS buggy?

Mikedvzo
Apprentice
Options

Fixing Apple TV was ready for me.  I can rename the device to Apple TV and add to home screen and the icon is created for Apple.  

0 Likes
Jc244
Apprentice
Options

Same bother. If I have the Apple TV powered on and remove its hdmi cable for 10 seconds then plug it back in the tv auto scans for what has been connected. It doesn't get it right first time but after a couple of attempts it worked out it's Apple TV and then it's fine until you have to remove the hdmi cable for any reason then it's a re analysis job by tv again. 

0 Likes
JimMay3
First Poster
Options

Exact same issue with a firetv, make no sense, no fix found but manually renaming...

0 Likes
Mikedvzo
Apprentice
Options

Yeah pretty crazy that Samsung TV does not recognize Apple TV or Fire TV.   I ran into the same issue with Fire TV but renaming did not give me a custom icon like Apple TV.  Roku works fine.  

0 Likes
JimMay3
First Poster
Options

So does my $29 DvD player, makes no sense, hours wasted...  No fix...

0 Likes
MarekFe
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same problem but with laptops at work. We bought a new samsung tv for the conference room.

New HP win10 laptops cant connect, HDMI has the red power icon. 

But an old asus win10 laptop works fine over the same cable.

This seems to be a software issue, but I'll test further.

0 Likes
Fabricius
Apprentice
Options

Same here.

To me the Apple TV is recognized and the icon is correct.

BUT when add the Apple TV to my Home Page the icon after some seconds change to another device "Sony" !!!

Again in my list of connected device the icon is correct but in my home page apps the icon is wrong!

How to solve ???

0 Likes
KM07
First Poster
Options

This worked for me:

-Unplug HDMI cable on Apple TV

-Turn TV off

-Turn TV on

-Plug cable into Apple TV 

-Select The HDMI input

-Discover device worked!

Igorrr
First Poster
Options

Hey, just searching around and found this forum, I have the same problem but with a PS4 and Xbox one. Both used to display the icon as they were recognized, but now it's the same as yours, just an unknown HDMI device. It's rather annoying because if it gets disconnected I have to go in and manually fix all picture settings and port names again. I don't get why the tv used to read them but don't anymore! 

0 Likes