Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV catching fire

(Topic created on: 09-11-2021 08:30 AM)
fenland neil
Student
Options

I have been an avid user of Samsung products over the years fridges, TV’s washing machines etc and have always found them long lasting, quality products so when I decided to buy a smart TV to replace a Samsung plasma TV I had owned for over 15 years I decided to go for a Samsung UE55KU6470U.

I have owned the TV for just over 5 years and in that time, I wouldn’t say it has had heavy usage because of work commitments I worked away.

At the weekend I turned the TV on within seconds the bottom right-hand corner of the screen went black and smoke started pouring from the same corner. I immediately turned off and unplugged the tv.

Obviously, this was a bit shocking as to what could have happened, especially as I had just turned the tv on to get the football scores and was going out of the room to make a cuppa.

At the time of purchase this TV was an expensive investment which as I said hasn’t had heavy usage to last only this short amount of time.

I suppose I should be grateful that I hadn’t left the TV unattended as this could potentially have been far worse.

After an internet search I was horrified to see how many people have been reporting this very same fault. 

This has damaged my opinion of this brand - not only are there obvious safety implications but now I'm left with an expensive big black plastic rectangle that I paid over £900 for. These products, when faults like this are reported to the manufacturer should be recalled, customers who have invested their money in Samsung products should have confidence that dangerous problems like this are taken seriously.

20 REPLIES 20
chellebradus
First Poster
Options

Thanks AshP

We are in Liverpool, so I will certainly do that.  To make matters worse, our home insurance policy will not pay out because it's an electrical fault. 

0 Likes
AshP_
Options

@chellebradus It's my pleasure. One of the moderators will keep an eye out for your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

WJMA
First Poster
Options

Just told me they would give me 15% of a tv not fit for purpose. Crazy done with Samsung nothing should smoke ever 😡😡 anybody needs to talk let me know!! Avoid all Samsung products like the Plague 

0 Likes
Iwan32
First Poster
Options

My situation is similar, only with the remote control that started to burn while charging. I was blamed for water damage based on the opinion of an engineer who found a microscopic trace of corrosion on a cable that is several years old. Melt marks on the cable are minimal and the entire remote is in very poor condition. The engineer did not look inside remote and judged it to be water damage. I have been a Samsung user for 15 years and now I have to think carefully about choosing a different product. Over the years my family and I have changed at least 20 cell phones, 6 TV sets, two refrigerators and a washing machine. But Samsung doesn't care, preferring to lose a customer for a 50 euro remote (I paid for TV 2000 euro). And they should ask me to return the broken remote control to investigate it and prevent such a situation that may lead to a fire in the future.

But they don't care about customers, they think that I want to get a new TV remote from them and Samsung prefer to pay more for the opinions of an engineer who didn't even want to meet me at home, only he carried out inspections in the parking lot.

Avoid Samsung because customer service will blame you for everything.

0 Likes
NannySally
Student
Options

I have just seen this as our TV (UE55KU6470UXXU) also had smoke pouring from the bottom. I heard some clicking noises as I walked past the bedroom and called my son up he could smell a gas like odour and immediately turned it off. (I couldn’t smell it as I lost my sense of smell 18 months ago after contracting covid). My husband turned it all back on when he got home from work and it made a strange noise and black smoke started to come out of the bottom of the tv. Like you, we were shocked as we have another Samsung as our main tv and we trusted this brand. 

0 Likes
Iwan32
First Poster
Options

Hi NannySally did you try to contact support? They told me this never happened before and my case is first. Finally Samsung offer me new remote for 50 euro which I refused and got one online not original for 20.

0 Likes
WJMA
First Poster
Options

I can proudly say I have bought 2 tvs since and would never buy Samsung products again. 

0 Likes
NannySally
Student
Options

Hi Iwan32,

No I haven’t. I just thought I would Google the problem and this came up, I was rather shocked to be honest. I was hoping a moderator would get back to me as they did with others. We won’t be buying another Samsung though! I will contact them if I don’t hear anything today. 

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi @NannySally , 

If you're based in the UK or Ireland can you send a Private/Direct Message to our Sam_UK (https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1716597) account?

(Guide on how to send a Private/Direct Message here if you need it:  https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/samsung-lounge/how-to-send-a-private-message-on-the-samsung-comm... )

We'll be able to escalate this matter to our colleagues for you from there.

0 Likes
Rolandalmere
First Poster
Options

The same thing just happened to my Tv, in standby mode, heard clicking sound, screen was partly flickering and smoke came out with electrical burn smell, unplugged tv, 5 years old only, good thing I was home too

0 Likes