Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S95b automatic update to firmware 1420

(Topic created on: 04-01-2023 11:27 PM)
Kunal3
First Poster
Options

I'm sure alot of people have been having the same issue. The automatic updates option was switched off. 

I was on firmware 1310 when I purchased the tv. It had automatically changed to 1420 today. 

I've noticed a change in the colour scheme and the "pop" on certain highlights on 1310 have disappeared. Also the "3D" look on the screen isnt there anymore.

I've also noticed motion issues in certain scenes ...almost like a juddering. 

I was watching Venom and the scene where the red and blue lights from the police car reflect on Michelle William's face looks almost as though a red line was smeared across the screen and the processing was all wrong...this did not occur on the 1310 firmware.

I think it is trying to become similar to the sony a95k with the picture being more accurate but I actually did like the bright highlights on the Samsung. 

I'm not sure why they are hesitant to return firmware to 1310 though they do have the capability to do so.

If they wish to compete with accuracy of the Sony then that is fine but change it on the other modes eg filmmaker. 

I'm sure samsung have upset alot of people with these changes and I feel like it's not the same tv I bought. 

It is such a shame... 😞 

Anyone else with similar issues?

11 REPLIES 11
MorganGjeita
First Poster
Options

The same happend to me. Auto update off but it updated. How is that possible? This is my first Samsung tv. Hope they can fix the tv with an new update.

Svein1967
Pioneer
Options

Same here. Happy with old fw, and therefore I had automatic updates set to off. But still it updated over night. Why even provide an off-option when it doesn't work? 

Oilpressure
First Poster
Options

It happened to me today. I had read the horrible results of the update. I had the 1310 firmware and I turned off Auto-updates in the set, and also the app on my phone. Today I noticed how washed-out my picture looked. Sure enough, it had updated to 1420. Why do they even give you the option to auto-update? Like everyone else said, even after settings adjustments - my picture is not near as good, and I am one very unhappy customer. 

ned80
First Poster
Options
Same here,auto update off and updated to 1420. Now picture is so bad,my lg cx look a lot better and brighter. My last Samsung tv ever.
midinotes
Explorer
Options

Same issue here. For the me the TV has asked to do screen optimisation updates twice now in just the space of 48 hrs!  Often the TV takes much longer to come out of standby, as if it's reloading everything and feels sluggish for a short while.  I've even had the OLED logo which you normally only get first time after reapplying the power to the TV appear a few times, as if it's doing a cold boot. I tried using the 2 source feature the other day and when trying to go full screen with an external source the picture just went blank.  Samsung, if you cannot provide a new firmware update to resolve these issues then please enable us to revert to the previous version - it was far better, more stable, better image quality. 

Simon

0 Likes
ISJ
First Poster
Options

It is an absolute joke. I bought this TV 4 days ago. Spent a whole day tuning the picture for each input and was so happy with it. By far the best TV I’ve ever owned and the picture was awesome. I turned off auto update as per every youtuber’s instruction but started watching a movie yesterday and it looked awful. Checked my settings and they were correct so I checked the FW version and sure enough it had updated itself to 1420… how can they do this??! I’ve tried everything to get the picture back to how it was but all I’m getting is ridiculously oversaturated reds and massively muted skin tones and and mid tones in general are completely washed out… it looks simple awful! And I cannot get it back to what it was. If I can’t fix it by this Thursday it’s going back… and I guess I’ll be paying the ‘Sony tax’!

Members_CumIulT
Student
Options

It's the same here and now I have issues with the audio output. I have a Astro A50 on USB port and when I turn on the TV, the audio output goes automatically to the USB! The TV doesn't save my configuration and every time I need to change the audio output. That's is very annoying!!! Samsung just destroyed the S95b with the firmware updates since the first one...the TV does getting worse!!! 

Members_CumIulT
Student
Options

And now we have the new S95c...it will be the same history. At the launch will be perfect, incredible...BUT Samsung will destroyed the TV again, like the S95b. Don't trust Samsung. Stay away from the S95c

midinotes
Explorer
Options

Hi again.  After a few days playing with the picture settings, I am pleased to say that I've got the picture looking good again (as with my previous settings on the previous firmware).  For me the trick was to enable the Contrast enhancer on Low (previously I had it turned off). I've set the brightness all the way down to 20 (evening viewing) and the contrast to 18 (the enhancer really boosts the picture brightness a lot!).  Other settings include sharpness on 6, colour 24, tint 0, picture clarity settings currently set to auto but I might change these as some movies do exhibit the 'soap opera effect'. Film mode is currently set to Auto, colour tone is on Warm 2, White balance is 2 point and all set to 0 at present,  Gamma is 2.2, Shadow detail currently set to 1, Colour space settings are normal, peak brightness set to medium. 

After the firmware updated to the latest version, I did have a few times when my AV amp would automatically switch on with the TV (via HDMI ARC) and the audio would switch to that - but switching the input on the AV amp to a different HDMI input and then changing the TV audio setting back to TV speakers, it seems to now behave itself and has not turned on my amplifier automatically.  

I'm sure I'll be making minor tweaks over the coming weeks as I watch different content, both SD, HD and 4K.  However pleased now with the image and happy I was able to restore it to what I remember it looked like before. Still loving the TV and amazed at how much brightness is available on this screen!  I tend not to turn it up too much, not necessary as I don't watch it that much in a bright room and I'd like to save the LEDs as much as possible! 

Regards

Simon

0 Likes