Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QN95B going into ‘deep sleep’

(Topic created on: 05-01-2023 01:15 PM)
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Our Samsung QN95B TV has often gone into a deep sleep state when we come to switch it on from standby in the morning.  It won’t turn on from the remote.

To turn it on I’ve had to switch it off/on at the wall outlet which is inconvenient since it’s round the back of the TV and also turns off the other kit on the same power strip.  We then have to wait for everything to boot up fully again. I know I could move the power plug to a separate outlet.

It’s been particularly evident since we ‘updated’ our Virgin Media TV box from V6 to TV360.  The TV360 used a remote, coded to the TV, which has two power buttons - one for TV power and the other for the set top box itself.

It doesn’t always do this and I’ve been trying to see if there’s any pattern to it.  I’ve been careful to ensure the TV is turned to standby and screen has gone off before going to bed.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is there any other sequence or way to put the TV back on?

23 REPLIES 23
User225873
First Poster
Options

I've had the same issue with mine. It appears the backlight isn't coming on though. I can see outlines of the menus if the light hits it just right.

Between that and the status light change indicates it's turning on. If I had to guess, it seems like a hang in the wake process. 

I've found no other solution besides disconnecting power and then reconnecting as well. I'm just posting to see if this issue receives a solution.

g0akc
Navigator
Options

Thanks for responding.  That's interesting.  I've not noticed anything on screen when our TV does this.  I'll check next time.

I've tried a few things over the last couple of weeks.  Our Virgin Media set top box (TV360) has an option called 'One Power' for turning on connected boxes at the same time, with a signal sent via HDMI.  It means pressing just one remote control button to turn on/off the VM box and TV.  Initially this seemed to make things better, but after a week it seems worse.  I've turned that feature off, but the Samsung TV now seems to do this every night, rather than about once a week.

I've moved the TV power plug to use an outlet on a second power strip that's behind the TV stand unit rather than the one in the TV unit which makes it easier for me to unplug the TV.  Currently that's the only way I can wake the TV up in the morning - mains power off/on again.

Power saving features, if that's what this is, are good, especially with today's energy prices, but this really is a PITA. 

I can't turn all the TV kit off since the set top boxes are picking up scheduled recordings.

I might put a WiFi smartplug on the TV power so I can turn it off/on remotely - it might use less power than the TV on standby.

Infra red remote, the paired radio remote and HDMI signal from a connected box all fail to wake the TV once it's in this state.

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

just tried contacting Samsung support, for whatever good they might be.  All I get is a message telling me they are shut on Christmas Day (it's now 11AM 28th December).  There are holiday hours online but they make little sense - I can only guess the times shown are west coast US or something?

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options
0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

been onto samsung support via chat, eventually got through.  Not much help.  Tell me;

• first time anyone has this issue
  • have I checked cables plugged in
  • blah blah
  • 'there are no bugs on Samsung TVs - software updates only to provide new features' !
  • now arranging service call - engineers coming

interestingly, while in factory service menu I notice

pre-software version 1304.1 (2022-12-21 to 1420.9) -

does seem to be worse since just before Christmas - is this a software update and it has made things worse?

agent could not answer that.

0 Likes
Onno4
Journeyman
Options

Same problem here with my QN95B 65".

familyfriend
Student
Options

@g0akc any update from service call if it has happened

I think I am experiencing the same, long press on the remote's power button forces a full restart seems to resolve it when it happens but no rhyme or reason to when it happens - but afraid that if it is a hardware issue it will eventually be persistent and rather make a warranty call sooner rather than later

g0akc
Navigator
Options

@familyfriend wrote:

@g0akc any update from service call if it has happened

I think I am experiencing the same, long press on the remote's power button forces a full restart seems to resolve it when it happens but no rhyme or reason to when it happens - but afraid that if it is a hardware issue it will eventually be persistent and rather make a warranty call sooner rather than later

The Samsung repair agent came this morning - they believe it's likely a faulty board in the TV panel - they are ordering the spare and will arrange to come and fit it (couple of weeks)

The fault didn't show while they were here so they were going off my description - they were particular interested if the small red light was on or not - which is hard to say (sometimes yes, sometimes no I recall) and any clicking from the One Connect box - ours often clicks but the panel doesn't come on.  I have not seen any backlight issue with it.

Technician felt it was likely that two boards/systems in the TV stopped communicating after a while.

I'd not tried the long button press on the remote - I will try that.

I will see how it goes after they have fitted a new board - concerned they may do so but it will persist if its a software bug.

g0akc
Navigator
Options

@Onno4 wrote:

Same problem here with my QN95B 65".

That's interesting - same hardware fault or same bug?  I will advise here after they have changed the board in our TV - see if that cures it.

0 Likes