Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QE55Q80R diagonal lines

(Topic created on: 18-12-2019 10:54 PM)
iFL
Pioneer
Options

Hi,

I bought new tv and I am noticing diagonal lines when looking at tv from side (see attached images). Lines are visible only on grey/darker colors and they are in all sources (satelite, youtube, netflix). In picture test lines are not visible. 

On RTINGS mentioned something similar: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q80-q80r-qled

"We observed some weird diagonal stripes that are visible when you look at the screen from up close and from the left."

Its really anoying to watch tv from side because of these lines. I tried reseting settings, change various pictures modes and nothing helped. These lines only disapear with game mode turned on when watching content through playstation.

Today, I was back to shop and looked to another 80R there and there were same diagonal lines.

Could it be software problem? Or how can i get rid of these lines?

974321BC-CD90-4C55-89B1-8793AA00B531.jpeg

254 REPLIES 254
Conrad101
Explorer
Options

@Hankoman wrote:
My TV got the uppdate today, lines are still there. 1352 did not fix the issue. QE55Q82RAT.

Was that update provided by the technicians or has it finally been made available publicly? It might be best to have a technician come out and try those settings in the service menu anyway, as I'm not sure if the update even alters those settings at all.

I'm still on 1351 & don't really want to update to 1352 until I know whether or not there's any downgrades in image quality as was the case with many firmware updates on the Q8fn model I use to have.

Hope everything works out for you. If your lucky maybe Samsung will give you a Q90R as a replacement :winking-face:

0 Likes
Pedpin
Navigator
Options

My tv made an automatic upgrade to 1352. And I have not see any difference.

Does anyone know what are the fixes in FW1352?

0 Likes
Hankoman
Journeyman
Options
This was an automatic update. I’m returning my TV and switching it to a LG OLED instead.
0 Likes
Conrad101
Explorer
Options

@Hankoman wrote:
This was an automatic update. I’m returning my TV and switching it to a LG OLED instead.

Yeah, if I was still in the store return window I'd probably have done the same thing, but I wouldn't have exchanged it for an OLED as I'm using this display as a PC monitor and still don't quite trust them as far as screen burn in with lots of static imagery being on the screen over lengthy periods of time. They do have awesome image quality though.

0 Likes
Conrad101
Explorer
Options

@Pedpin wrote:

My tv made an automatic upgrade to 1352. And I have not see any difference.

Does anyone know what are the fixes in FW1352?

The only thing I can find about it is that is seems to fix an issue with ARC but it may introduce a new bug with amazon prime. Depends on who you ask though; some say it does nothing. Will have to wait a bit till more info comes out.

As for the diagonal lines I doubt Samsung will publicly acknowledge it as a problem and this update was probably never meant to address the issue. I'd say they have an alternate version of 1352 that they are just handing out quietly to technicians to fix it on a case by case basis, or they will just do what they did with me and provide instructions to the technicians on what service menu settings to change.

0 Likes
Hankoman
Journeyman
Options

I made a last attempt and called the Finnish support today and they mention that they can remotely access the TV. However, the support person I talked to was not really interested in listening what I had to say. I explained the diagonal lines and offered to send a link to this discussion so that they could familiar themself with the issue, but the support person was more interested in ending the call than to recieve the link. They said they would just do a hard reset on the TV.

The person was nice overall, but totally uninterested in my issue. So that settled it for me, LG OLED it is then.

0 Likes
jdp117
Navigator
Options

@Hankoman wrote:

I made a last attempt and called the Finnish support today and they mention that they can remotely access the TV. However, the support person I talked to was not really interested in listening what I had to say. I explained the diagonal lines and offered to send a link to this discussion so that they could familiar themself with the issue, but the support person was more interested in ending the call than to recieve the link. They said they would just do a hard reset on the TV.

The person was nice overall, but totally uninterested in my issue. So that settled it for me, LG OLED it is then.

I had my Q85R returned a couple of weeks ago and last week finally got the courage to go all in with the LG C9 OLED. Honestly, hands down the BEST decision I have made and in a way in kind of thankful for my faulty QLED TV because I never would have purchased this absolutely insane television otherwise. 

OLED from a pure picture quality standpoint is miles ahead of anything else out there. HDMI 2.1 across all 4 ports and G-Sync technology also make it a dream for gamers. I don't care about burn in. It's unlikely that you'll get it under normal circumstances so it isn't worth worrying about in my opinion. 

0 Likes
Hankoman
Journeyman
Options

So my lines are suddenly gone. I contacted Finnish support by email with the model and serial number of the TV. No contact back yet, but as of yesterday(?) the lines are gone. TV says no update in software, 1352.0 installed. Can they have forced a change remotely? Picture quality now is much worse, blacks are clearly elevated and colors are off. Looked at the same movie yesterday as a few days ago and it was a pain to watch now. Actually, quality of the picture looks very similar as a Samsung 67 series I had before this one.

Anyone else seeing a change?

0 Likes
Pedpin
Navigator
Options

In the firsts post of the present topic you can find a link to a youtube HDR test where in the first 30 seconds can be used to check for lines. Please use it to check if the lines are really gone.

Another issue is, please check your settings and force intelligent mode, even that lokes that is on you need to put it off and on again. 

Try to make a new imaging settings.

Also check in YouTube 4k videos to check the image.

Give feedback.

0 Likes
Hankoman
Journeyman
Options
Yes, lines are definitely gone. But picture quality MUCH worse, in my personal opinion. I do photography editing as a living so pretty used to look at a monitor from a quality point of view.
0 Likes