Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q90R Audio dropouts when switching to HDMI from the TV tuner.

(Topic created on: 25-05-2020 03:01 PM)
MrSpiggott
Apprentice
Options

Hi all, hope you can help.

I'm experiencing unstable audio when switching from the TV tuner to any of the HDMI channels.

If the TV automatically turns on to a HDMI channel without going to free view first, from for example a console, then the audio is fine, but once I switch to freeview tv and back again to HDMI, the audio begins to randomly skip. This can be made worse by increasing or decreasing the volume, every incremental change will produce once skip.

Internal apps like Netflix work fine.

The only way to get stable HDMI audio again is to pull the TV coax aerial cable out from the back of the one connect box.

The signal strength is good with a clean and stable image, multiple aerials, distribution amps and cables have been tried, all other TVs in the house work fine. I've also tried various v2 and v1.4 HDMI devices and the problem is consistent, but this really can't be a HDMI signal fault because everything works flawlessly until the TV tuner turns on.

I've already returned one TV for this the problem and the replacement is suffering from exactly the same problem.

Am I doing something stupid?

10 REPLIES 10
MrSpiggott
Apprentice
Options

Just a quick update.
A support engineer from Samsung inspected the TV today and agreed it’s a fault, but not one he’s seen before.
Luckily my day job gives me access to calibrated broadcast spec video generators and analysers so it was really easy to rule out all the obvious stuff and explain what was happening.
Anyway, he’s going to write a report to Samsung and get back to me.

Anybody else suffering from this, and I've seen a few reports online, could you try the following.

First of all simplify your setup so you only have the aerial, internal speakers and one HDMI source connected, a PS4 is good to use since you can turn on the default looping background audio track when in the menus. This makes detecting the corruption much easier than listening to a Blu-ray movie.
Switch to a tv channel and go to settings/ support/ self diagnosis/ signal strength information.
You should see readings for signal strength, quality and bit errors. (I got 90% strength, 100% quality and 0 bit errors. Ensure these readings are stable.
Next select your HDMI device and in the same menu as above carry out the HDMI cable test and ensure you get a pass.
Exit settings.
Listen out for the HDMI audio corruption and ensure it goes when you unplug the aerial and returns when plugged back in again. Try scrolling the volume up and down, this makes the fault happen more often.

If that checks out, then please report it, most people with this issue haven’t.

0 Likes
shamilt1
Apprentice
Options

Hi. I have just got this tv and have exactly the same problem. Did you get this resolved?

I have both Freesat and Freeview plugged into my one connect box. If I select Freesat then the problem doesn't occur, it only happens when Freeview has been selected. 

0 Likes
MrSpiggott
Apprentice
Options

Unfortunately not resolved and I've had quite a frustrating time with customer support.  
The people on the other end of the line are very polite and friendly, but dont seem to have any technical knowledge. They always want to stick rigidly to a script and checklist and every time I called they just wanted to remotely reset my HDMI ports even though this has been done several times before, over two TV's, including once by the support engineer who visited and confirmed the problem. 

There is a simple work around, which is why I've kept the TV. I've been really happy with it other than for this problem.

Switching to wallpaper or Netflix before turning on the device plugged into HDMI appears to disable the tuner. Or toggle Wallpaper or Netflix if you forgot and already have the audio corruption.

Quite a few people are beginning to report this issue now on forums and the more people that officially report it to Samsung, the more likely it'll be fixed.

0 Likes
shamilt1
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the update. 

I'll send Samsung an email about it...I'm certainly not going to ring customer support as it sounds like hard work. Hopefully in the long run a software update will fix it, but if not at least there is the quick work around you mentioned or I could just keep it on Freesat where the problem doesn't occur. 

0 Likes
AdrianWhitwell
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue. 

Gave up on WiFi sound so hard wired with hdmi but when changing Sky to Amazon Prime for example it cuts out reverts to tv speaker. 

Solutions?

0 Likes
MrSpiggott
Apprentice
Options

Sorry, but it doesn't sound as if your problem is related to mine.

I get pops and dropouts through HDMI whenever the tuner has been enabled, no matter which speakers are used. I've never had a problem where eARK speakers fail to connect.

0 Likes
manxmike959
Journeyman
Options

Hi guys,

Thank god it's not just me with this issue!

Exactly as you describe, sound stutter/popping etc when switching from TV (freeview) input to any HDMI source, like PS4 or Chromecast and as soon as I unplug the aerial cable, sound is normal.

As you also mentioned, after testing my PS4 HDMI cable signal, it says there is a problem with it but as far as i'm concerned, it's absolutely fine and nothing to do with this issue.

The work around also works for me which is simple enough for me to not return the TV and I also just happened to have ordered Sky TV anyway however it would be nice to see this fixed in an update as it may lead to other issues etc.

Do you have any updates from Samsung before I contact them to report this? I wonder if the issue has been carried over to the new 2020 models also...

For now i'm happy there is a simple work around so thank you for figuring this out and please keep updating this page with updates etc :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Theron027
First Poster
Options

I also have the same problem with the sound starting to skip/dropouts when switching between hdmi devices. It has really starting to become annoying and I'm on the verge of returning på Q90R.

0 Likes
Members_kKpSmuW
First Poster
Options

I have this TV and have a firestick connected as well as vigin box on two HDMIs ports. For the last year, when I use my firestick to watch netflix or other services, then I try and switch back onto TV or vvirginon the second HDMI, I lose sound. This can be from 5 minutes to 10 minutes.  Sometimes it just comes on. Or If it doesn't,  I have to pull out the main one connect cable and the sound comes back on. I don't know what to do to resolve it and it's very frustrating.  It seems a common problem by the looks of it.  

0 Likes