Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On-screen volume display

(Topic created on: 23-04-2022 06:09 PM)
Sourshoes
Journeyman
Options

Hello everyone, I cannot find the setting to disable the on screen volume display on my Q80T. Is there a hidden setting somewhere? If not, can we get the option added by Samsung?

Thank you!

670387F1-6EFB-43EE-83B8-450F0EFA0244.jpeg

194 REPLIES 194
PJS28
Explorer
Options

I’ve got a Playbar and Arc. I can confirm with a third party remote (sky Q in the uk for example) connected via optical it can change the volume WITHOUT the on screen display. As soon as HDMI is involved it’s there. Even from the app on my iPhone. 

Again - please allow for an option in the settings to disable this @Samsung. 

JRock69
Explorer
Options

Like everyone else on this thread, you made the mistake of buying Samsung, period. I’ll never make that mistake again. 

PJS28
Explorer
Options

Agreed. I have several to be fair but this is a feature I’ll be reviewing more closely next time I buy a TV - which may be sooner rather than later.  I still use HDMI (Dolby Atmos etc) over optical even though I managed to find the workaround.  Grates me every time I have to turn the volume up or down. 

This is something they could quite easily fix\make as a feature if they bothered to read these forums. 

Ck89
Explorer
Options

Yeah, agree with @PJS28 and @JRock69 . Using HDMI eArc connection there is very little that can be done from our end. I finally gave up and just bought a 2021 LG oled while they're on sale... Now this Samsung Q8 from 2019 now just sitting in the garage ready for Craigslist. Sure... the oled is nice, but my biggest pro is the volume OSD is GONE! Holy cow. 

It's shocking to me that showing the volume OSD when eArc is used was a "feature add" in a firmware update and no thought was given to making it an option to the end user... 

FWIW the LG does not have an option to remove the volume OSD in settings. But, if you use the soundbar remote or a harmony remote (or similar) where volume is controlled at the soundbar, no volume OSD shows up on the TV. If you use the LG magic remote, a small  white plus and or minus shows up at the far right of the screen (significantly smaller than the Samsung OSD) 

Meesterb
First Poster
Options

Deactivate Anynet in settings, general,external device manager, anynet+(hdmi-cec)

JRock69
Explorer
Options

Interesting idea, Meesterb, but for me that only changes the problem. It did, however, lead me to a different solution that actually works!

If you deactivate Anynet, the result is that the TV no longer recognizes volume changes on an external device (in my case, a Sony AV-Receiver). That's a good thing, because you can then change the volume on the external device without the TV realizing it and displaying the super-annoying volume-change on-screen notification. The bad thing is, the TV no longer seems to send an audio signal to the external device and only allows you to use your TV speakers. Furthermore, every time you change the TV speaker volume, an on-screen volume-change notice appears.

So, here's what I did, building upon your solution:

1. Deactivate Anynet;

2. Run an optical audio cable from the TV's output to the AV Receiver's input;

3. Use the AV Receiver remote to change volume.

PROS: No more on-screen volume notice when changing volume. Full 5.1 surround with digital precision.

CONS: You have to use the AV Receiver remote control to change the volume and make sure that you have turned the TV speaker volume to zero.

THIS WORKS! (for me, at least)

Please post your experiences trying this solution.

Jamers99
Student
Options

Using an Optical cable is not going to work for those of us who want 7.1 or 9.1 HD Audio signals.  There has got to be a way to disable this stupid Volume pop-up.  It is so annoying and takes the viewer out of the movie experience if you had to make on-the-fly volume adjustments.  Samsung, please fix this.

JRock69
Explorer
Options

Jamers99, you are correct. I disconnected 2 of my surround speakers after implementing my partial solution, because 5.1 doesn't power them. It seems we have only one choice: either accept 1990's surround sound OR have the super-disruptive volume pop-up all the time. Samsung's unwillingness to fix, or even acknowledge, this problem is a total insult to its customers. This is how businesses fail - they get so big that they forget how they got big in the first place.

0 Likes
ckoloj
First Poster
Options

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS SAMSUNG!!!    Absolutely ridiculous!   Feature my ass... it's garbage and beyond annoying!   I will never buy another Samsung product if you don't address this and provide a firmware update!

Reallynotnick
First Poster
Options

Add me to the list of people who want this UI hidden. I came from a Vizio so I thought there was no way I was downgrading in UI despite everyone complaining about Samsung's UI. This is a very big disappointment having just got a new S95B.

(And who thought tying ARC and CEC together as one toggle was a good idea???)