Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On-screen volume display

(Topic created on: 01-10-2020 06:51 PM)
Sourshoes
Journeyman
Options

Hello everyone, I cannot find the setting to disable the on screen volume display on my Q80T. Is there a hidden setting somewhere? If not, can we get the option added by Samsung?

Thank you!

670387F1-6EFB-43EE-83B8-450F0EFA0244.jpeg

195 REPLIES 195
Ck89
Explorer
Options

I wouldn’t count on them fixing it. If I were in your position and the volume OSD is going to bother you, I’d return it while you can.

After dealing with the huge OSD here for about a year I can confidently say it bothers me as much now as it did then. I just picked up a TV box for my primary pos Q8DT and will be selling it asap. It’s a good reason to upgrade to oled.

ScottL
Explorer
Options

Not yet, but I refuse to give up hope.  I can't return my TV, but I just had a small group over last night, and everyone agreed that the OSD would be a deal-killer.

I'm not just concerned about the TV.  If Samsung won't fix what they made worse, then I'll have to re-evaluate my planned purchases.  Samsung's proprietary "Tizen" thing already bugs me a bit, but I'm looking past that.  I'd been working toward adopting their ecosystem full-on, but the volume is a constant nag that I made a mistake going this far, and I'm worried that Samsung's design sensibilities have gone off the rails.  (Seriously, did they need to re-invent volume buttons for a remote?  I mute the TV accidentally all the time.)

It *destroys* the immersion when you have to make a quick volume change.  I feel like I spent premium money on picture quality, just to have them make it a secondary concern.

Sourshoes
Journeyman
Options

OP here. It's been over two years now and while the on-screen volume display still annoys me, it's taken a back seat to the awful dimming software problems. I have all of the ECO settings and ***** off, but the picture will still be incredibly dark despite the brightness turned to 50. Also, the Hulu app preview does not update so we've been looking at the same ads for over two ***** years; it doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's really really annoying. I'm definitely NOT buying another Samsung TV until they fix the software side. It's a shame because I always recommend Samsung TVs, but they really need to rework the entire TV software. I'll most likely be buying a SONY Bravia to go with a future PS5. I've tried LG's TV software and it's pretty sloppy too, but better than Samsung. 

mrdfresh
Apprentice
Options

Hi guys,

I have a Frame 2020 65" being used with a Sonos Playbar.  I stumbled across this thread when experiencing the same issues with the OSD appearing, (frustrating).  I was able to resolve this by re-programming my ATV 4k controller to control volume using a custom setup. (instead of using auto mode).  I grabbed an old remote from a previous JVC tele and reprogrammed the ATV 4K with these settings, then went into Sonos app and educated it on the new volume controls.  

This way, when I use the ATV 4K controller to drive the Sonos Playbar, the tele is not picking up the signal.  

Not sure if this helps anyone? 

RustyF
Apprentice
Options

This is super helpful because I’m in the exact same boat! Any way you could write out the steps of pulling this off? Because I’ve tried a lot of things and nothing seems to get the TV to not know that volume is being changed on the sound bar. Thank you!

mrdfresh
Apprentice
Options

Sure thing. 

First you'll need to teach your aTV4k how to talk to your receiver using specific volume controls. I would get the remote that came with the receiver, or another remote which is not associated with your Samsung tv to teach the volume up/down/mute commands. Best thing to do is find a remote that the Samsung doesn't understand (so that it doesn't trigger the OSD).

Here are Apple's instructions on how to program your aTV4k remote (works on earlier apple models to). https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT205225

Once you've trained for your Apple Remote, you just need to teach Sonos to understand the new remote. Instructs from Sonos https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3402?language=en_US

RustyF
Apprentice
Options

I have a generic cheapo universal remote. So step one would be program the universal remote into something like an old JCV or Sony remote

Step 2) Teach the Apple TV remote to adopt the signal of the newly reprogrammed cheapo universal remote 

Step 3) Use the newly reprogrammed Apple TV remote and teach that to the Sonos. 

Does that sound right?

Also how is your Sonos connected to your Frame? Over the HDMI-ARC port or optical audio?

Thanks so much for your help! This is driving me nuts

ScottL
Explorer
Options

"Not sure if this helps anyone?"

It confirms my growing belief that I made a mistake buying complimentary Samsung components.

RustyF
Apprentice
Options

Question for you: I've tried doing this with a SONOS Beam and it still recognizes when I'm raising and lowering the volume on the soundbar (even when I push the touch buttons directly on the bar itself). Did you have to connect via Optical Audio? I've tried everything I can think of to connect via HDMI and not have the pop-up show up. Part of the problem is that the Samsung automatically recognizes the Sonos Beam when connected via HDMI.

0 Likes
RustyF
Apprentice
Options

I turned off this setting as well but when I did, the TV wouldn't recognize that I had a soundbar plugged in. Are you connected via optical audio?

0 Likes