Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Happy - 2nd time my Samsung TV has tried to catch FIRE

(Topic created on: 16-06-2020 02:58 PM)
JohnPK
Student
Options

I am a big samsung user and have been happy with all the phones, TVs and devices I've owned bar this one - Samsung 50in Smart TV - UE50F6400AKXXU.

I have had the tv about 5 years.  about 2 years ago it overheated on the bottom right corner when my kids were using it.  they didnt really notice until the screen was destroyed and the smell of melting plastic overwheming.  The tv was under extended warranty and it was replaced - I was worried at that time that this was a dangerous fault but I was assured it was only a failed wifi reciever and a very rare freak fault.

Now, today exactly the same fault has occurred on the other side of the screen.  There is clearly a defect in these TVs that is a dangerous fire hazard.  Luckily because it happened before I was able to spot it early and prevent a fire.  After a google search I was horrifed to see how many people have been reporting this fault for years.  Judging by this it's clear that  Samsung either know, or should know, this is a serious fault with the TV and they should be recalled. 

This has damaged my opinion of this brand - not only are there obvious safety implications but now I'm left with an expensive big black plastic rectangle.  I paid £900 for this TV at the time, that's too big an investment for a tv that Samsung clearly knows has a good chance of destroying itself and my living room.  This product should be recalled and customers who have invested their money in Samsung should have confidence that dangerous problems like this aren't brushed under the carpet.

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

5 REPLIES 5
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hi @JohnPK ,

I have sent you a private message. Would you be able to send us a message with more details about this from here: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1716597 so we can pass this to the relevant department? 

UserMax7860
Student
Options

Hi JohnPK I have had the same problem, I advise putting a smoke alarm near the TV. It may sound silly but it can save the lives of your loved ones.

Really and truly these type of electronics should all have a built in smoke alarm, maybe we as members of Samsung Community should encourage them.

What are your thoughts?

JohnPK
Student
Options
hi,

thanks for the message. I think you might be on to something. a box of cigarettes has to tell you there is a potential danger in using them. we all know that lithium batteries can catch fire and clearly, so can your TV!

to be fair to samsung any complex electrical item has the chance of failure and fire, so perhaps all electronics manufacturers should have to highlight the fire hazard much more clearly. a mandatory smoke alarm or high temp cut off would be even better!

liziwhiz
First Poster
Options
Same has happened to ours last night. Fortunately I was looking right at it. I'm shocked so many have happened with Samsungs with no product recall. We won't be buying Samsung again.
0 Likes
ChrisP88
Options

If you are based in the UK or Ireland then please send a private message to Sam_UK by following the steps in the link below, and myself or one of the other mods will be able to get this escalated for you.  

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/samsung-lounge/how-to-send-a-private-message-on-the-samsung-comm... 

0 Likes