Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Dolby Digital when HDMI-CEC is on (only PCM works) - S90C

(Topic created on: 13-06-2024 04:22 PM)
scrollek
Explorer
Options

Some time ago I started a topic "No Dolby Digital if HDMI-CEC is on (PCM still works) - QN95A"

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/no-dolby-digital-if-hdmi-cec-is-on-pcm-still-works-qn95a/td-p...

Now, exactly the same problem exists with S90C firmware 1410 and Yamaha RX-V473 receiver.

When HDMI-CEC is enabled in TV settings, only PCM audio signal is recognized by receiver.

When HDMI-CEC is disabled in TV settings, then Dolby Digital or DD+ are recognized by receiver via optical cable (there is no option in TV to send audio signal via HDMI in this scenario).

Just to add, HDMI-eARC option is disabled in TV settings as my receiver supports HDMI-ARC only.

Based on the comments from the previous topic, I understand that TV firmware update solved the problem - now it seems we need to request Samsung to look at their code repository and apply the same fix again.

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15
scrollek
Explorer
Options

The issue still exists with new firmware 1420.

0 Likes
Crier
First Poster
Options

Hey, I have the same problem. Since a few weeks now, no DD+ is recognized by my AVR (Denon s960h) anymore. I have tested it with Netflix, Amazon Prime and youtube. Now reading here that version 1420 do not resolves the problem disencourages me 😞

Btw: I have the S90C as well. A TV being capable of transmitting a native 5.1 signal (via DD+ i.e.) is essential for many "home-cinemas" and not just a nice-to-have imho. We are paying a lot of money for those TVs to get these features!

0 Likes
Svet
Apprentice
Options

That’s rigth.

eARC means no DD. Disable eARC and you get it. A mess and a shame.

scrollek
Explorer
Options

That is not so simple. DD over HDMI ARC worked flawlessly on older Samsung Q80R and my receiver. And I disabled eARC on my new TV as I wrote it in my first post.

0 Likes
Svet
Apprentice
Options

Every model, every overall configuration and -in this case- even every single TV seems to be is an entire world

0 Likes
1Forty
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem as well with my S90C with my AVR (denon s960h)

all TV apps Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus using eARC only out puts PCM 

while HDMI sources from the TV using eARC work properly (Dolby Digital, Dobly Digital plus, dobly TrueHD, ATMOS etc) all work with eARC and passthrough!

just the TV apps turn all dolby Digital and dolby digital plus into PCM sent to AVR! 

also the TV app youtube outputs ATMOS as PCM, while netflix and prime etc ATMOS seems to work. 

though if I turn eARC off the TV apps will work for Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital plus.

from what I can tell it seems to be a problem in the Tizen OS in relation to how it handles Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital plus for some reason it's decoding it in the TV and outputting it as PCM 

0 Likes
Svet
Apprentice
Options

The biggest problem is when you use an Apple TV and if you remove EARC everything comes out in PCM. To have Atmos or 5.1 you need EARC. Anyway, a few days ago in a UHD TV broadcast suddenly the sound went away and the bar started making weird sounds until and no audio came back. Now, connected a ms650 that I had in another room everything goes great.
The Q800c is in the technical service.
More news soon, I hope.

0 Likes
Strolla
Explorer
Options

When I switch off eArc my Soundbar picks up Dolby Digital Plus on my Firestick but says Stereo PCM when eArc is on. That's not right as eArc should give the best codecs obviously. I'm using a Samsung Q70C TV and Soundbar Q600C. I only tried switching eArc off when I read your post. My recent 1430.3 TV update hasn't fixed it.

0 Likes
Svet
Apprentice
Options

Al least it works with UHD channel on TV giving Atmos.

“Normal” channels continue with PCM even with the Last firm.

0 Likes