Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New connect box with 2.1 hdmi upgrade

(Topic created on: 04-09-2020 07:23 AM)
nazbobby
Explorer
Options

I have been promised by Samsung team member that I will get upgrade one connect box with 2.1 hdmi for my Q90R as soon the lockdown finished, I am still waiting here?????

232 REPLIES 232
Portowiec
Explorer
Options

I am already completely lost ... This is HDMI 2.1 or not ...?

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Haha, no problem. 😊

Yes, the Q950R/Q900RB has a certified HDMI 2.1 port in slot 4. The only odd thing is that to really fulfill the requirements of HDMI 2.1 is to be able to transfer data in 48GB/s. These tvs, and in fact all other brands up to this date "only" transfers 40GB/s max speed. That is however not a problem whatsoever. At least not regarding the new consoles,because the PS5 is only able to receive 32GB/s and the Xbox Series X can handle 40GB/s max speed.

So, you can use and enjoy the consoles ultimate settings, although especially PS5 still needs to be patched with new firmware as it has problems at the moment with VRR and running at 120hz in games. But, that issue is upon Sony, not Samsung. And a patch will for sure come soon. I myself run the 98 inch Q950R with Xbox Series X at ultimate settings for those games that have been modified to use at least some of the new consoles raw power. And it's just beautiful! 

Portowiec
Explorer
Options

Only I have the 55Q90R. A Samsung employee says port 4 is HDMI2.1

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Oh geez, sorry, I forgot you had the Q90R and the incompetent tech support guy. It does NOT have HDMI 2.1, it has HDMI 2.0b. That means a max transfer speed of 24GB/s. However, you CAN still run at 120hz, but supersampled, 8bit with 4:2:0 chroma. In more understandable words that means a reduced colour and image quality.

I would suggest that you join this excellent FB group where you will have and get answers to most questions. The name is "Samsung QLED TV Owners" and you find it here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2238946403021547/?ref=share

madvisionz
Apprentice
Options

Like I said earlier, check the HDFury Arcana switch. 

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

0 Likes
Portowiec
Explorer
Options

If I read it correctly, this device only provides trouble-free sound transmission, e.g. Dolby Atmos. It is not used to support the image, where after connecting to HDMI 2.0 I will get the image as in HDMI 2.1

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

That's correct. That is a workaround only for the lack of eARC. 

0 Likes
Portowiec
Explorer
Options

Hello Friends, I am thinking of purchasing the HW-Q70T Soundbar. Will this device work well with the Q90R? I don't want to be disappointed and regret this purchase. I watch Netflix the most ...

0 Likes
HakanaiSeishin
Journeyman
Options

@Humorsopa wrote:

As I mentioned in a previous post. According to two guys working within Samsung tv department that I know through an FB group have said so on numerous occasions. But of course, you never know. 

I think a lot of people are hinging on the fact that it has been done before (Google "SEK2500U One Connect Evolution Kit"). I personally have had more issues than just wanting either eARC or a new One Connect box (for purchase) but I won't get into it. I'd be happy running 4k120 through port 4 while using eARC through port 3. Then again, I'd be happy running 1440p120 through port 3 with eARC. Benefit for 120hz for me is the lower latency without using the terrible terrible game mode that makes FALD work like trash. I would have already switched to LG if it wasn't for OLED burn in which I have personal experience with. Hopefully microLED tech doesn't have DSE like FALD, DSE is a really really big negative in any bright scene.

0 Likes
flick101
First Poster
Options

There appears to be some issues on here with the new gaming consoles so here's where things stand at the moment for Q90r owners (like myself), HDMI4 (only) will support the following:

4KHDR@120Hz with 10 bit YCbCr(YUV) 4:2:0 

4KHDR@60Hz  with 10 bit RGB

However (and here's where I think the confusion happens), it also supports VRR (Freesync mode in the game mode settings) however, with VRR on the maximum supported resolution is reduced to:

1440pHDR@120Hz with 10 bit YCbCr(YUV) 4:2:0

If you are gaming @120Hz you really want the VRR on since most games (COD, Destiny 2) with 120Hz modes have a dynamic resolution cap of 1440p anyway (because of the hardware limitations of the new consoles) and so in that case you'll be getting pretty much the same quality as you would with HDMI 2.1 with the exception of the chroma subsampling (YUV 4:2:0) rather than RGB and since the chroma subsampling is virtually unnoticeable especially in fast moving games I personally doubt I could tell any difference. That's fine for XBox series X but the PS5 doesn't support VRR (or 1440p) currently so if you turn off VRR (Freesync mode in the Game Mode settings) on the TV you should get:

4KHDR@120Hz with 10 bit YCbCr(YUV) 4:2:0 

assuming the PS5 detects things properly! I’m guessing (I haven’t managed to get a PS5 yet) that if you leave VRR on in the TV settings the PS5 will detect a maximum resolution of 1440p (which it doesn’t support) and so will downsample to 1080p instead.

I’ll test as soon as I get a PS5 - or if anyone else has one already feel free to test and confirm or correct me!