Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDR content too dark

(Topic created on: 17-07-2020 10:26 AM)
nikhm
Apprentice
Options

I have a Samsung UE75TU7000KXXU TV and when watching HDR content the dark scenes are unwatchable.

I have gone through the expert picture settings to see if anything can get this working but to no avail.

I use both built in apps and an external Apple TV, as this allows the viewing of extras that the app does not.

I have the issue with everything that I watch that has HDR content. 

If I cannot get this resolved then I may need to return the TV and purchase a competitors as this is a big issue to me.

I look forward to you getting back to me as soon as you can.

58 REPLIES 58
OzascoMD
Journeyman
Options

You know... Same here! Did some tweeks based on the suggestions given here before about gama and shadow, managed to find a level not so bad for the picture and I am happy now. No complaints anymore about dark picture.

0 Likes
RussN
Journeyman
Options

Hi Journeyman,

Can you please share what settings that used that worked?

Thanks, 

Russ

0 Likes
Colin554
Journeyman
Options

I just bought the Samsung 55" Q60b TV and I have the same problem. While Youtube 4k nature videos look perfect (no HDR probably in those), on Netflix a show like 'Warrior Nun' is unwatchable, far too dark in many scenes. I have the latest firmware downloaded and tweaked all the settings - and disabled all power saving settings. Some other shows are the same. I cannot believe I paid so much money from a premium brand to have so much trouble. On Disney+ i have to leave things on their max brightness settings.

0 Likes
Colin554
Journeyman
Options

I managed to get this out of Netflix - the show "Warrior Nun" has this: 1080p, UHD, SD, 720p, MIN_HD, 4K, HDR_DOLBY_VISION, QHD, HDR_HDR10, FULL_HD

So the Q60b supports HDR10 but might not be using it.

0 Likes
Colin554
Journeyman
Options

But if you are tweaking gamma settings, it means other shows that do not have so much dark content won't look correct either (colors get kind of washed out, not sure what the right term is)... So you end up having to tweak settings per show that you watch... Not what I expect from a premium brand.

0 Likes
Colin554
Journeyman
Options

Today in a 40 minute call with Samsung support about my Q60b I gave up. They told me the problem is the TV shows and not the TV, simply because Youtube looks fine. They did not appear to understand what HDR is.  Netflix support tells me the TV is not eligible for Netflix 4k!

Why do I even bother trying.

So now I must write to Netflix and Disney+ and tell them Samsung says they screwed up with all these shows:

- Star Wars Andor

- Guardians of the Galaxy holiday special

- Netflix Warrior Nun (half the series is in low light conditions).

- Probably any other show that I must still test out.

My only work around is to watch via a PC and adjust gamma correction in Nvidia control panel...

I should have stayed with my 11 year old 1080p LG TV... this new TV was a mistake.

0 Likes
klumper
Journeyman
Options

It’s clear that if you want HDR then you don’t buy a Samsung TV. Which brand works ok then? If we looked at the forum for each manufacturer would we find a similar painful story of disappointment?

Colin554
Journeyman
Options

I have found some settings that improves things quite a bit (still not what you would expect in some scenes).

1) First I suggest you go to expert settings and select reset

2) Expert settings: Set shadow detail to maximum

3) Expert settings: Set gamma to maximum

4) General -> power saving -> There is an auto brightness and brightness reduction option - you can experiment with turning those on or off to your preference.

Personally i do not like an excessively bright screen, so auto brightness in my mind should be on always to adapt to day vs night time viewing.

Also rtings had an article with their recommended settings for the Q60B

0 Likes
Jody6025
Student
Options

I am having the same issues but have found a workaround that works most of the time

Change picture Mode to Dynamic

Start UHD content 

Switch back to desired picture Mode

Continue watching content. 

At least this works without having to go into advanced picture settings. 

Not the best way to do business but gets me by

BTW, I have a UN85TU8000FXGA running version 2501.1

0 Likes