Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codec AV1 Youtube 8K

(Topic created on: 07-01-2020 06:03 AM)
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Hi all! Is there any chance to get the codec AV1 to play youtube 8K videos on the Q900R,Q950R,Q900RB? Like new Samsung models Q950T  presented at CES 2020 will be able to play 8K videos on YT, what about us owners of 2018 model? Thanks

156 REPLIES 156
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Why they even send out a ocb if not hdmi 2.1? It’s written very clear on Samsung website “will provide a complementary hdmi 2.1 upgrade when available “ and Samsung was the first company to get the certification, from 2019 models is not necessary to upgrade

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

...and I have done the same since I was becoming aware of this back in January 2020 (in which I was asked to do a software update by Samsung representative, which was ridiculous as this was a hardware issue), and if you talk to them more than just one time, you will notice there are often different answers every time you talk to Samsung support. By the way, I got my new One Connect Box replacement back in mid-May this year (2020), and I also took it for granted that everything was okay and that I finally got the HDMI 2.1, till I contacted them again and then got a reply that there was still only HDMI 2.0 ports (including the port 4) on my new One Connect Box replacement I had gotten, which got me really confused and angry and that is when I get a written statement after that by one of the Samsung moderators (AntS) here in the forum. As you saw he was not very clear, and even admitted he could not give full details yet.

By the way, I am not arguing with you, I am just frustrated about this whole matter as to why I and many others can't get one clear answer when addressing this. Great find on the Samsung official product page for this TV by the way ! 

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Talk about a roller coaster ! Haha... By the way, the way I can read moderator AntZ's reply a little different now. The way I see it is that Samsung have had some issues with the HDMI 2.1 licensing, which took them two years to sort out for our 2018 TVs. They might have taken a little "side door" fix, and actually our new OCB replacements might not officially have the HDMI 2.1, but it actually has it. Now the issues are eARC and AV1 codec, which are both hardware related and cannot be fixed with any software updates, which I think might be solved in the device you have linked (for the eARC alone, and as long as we have a HDMI 2.1 port) or in a future external device like that (hopefully in the new Playstation 5).

0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

I never had an issue with the support, they always been well trained, the screens that you posted are ridiculous, it’s since 2019 that Samsung is doing OFFICIAL presentation claiming they have hdmi 2.1 so that lady or guy was just ignorant about the matter and should be fired, some supports are like that, they talk without knowing , I purchased my model in October 2019 and saw the site claiming to contact the support for new ocb, never discovered on this forum, the first time support told me it wasn’t available,second time they send me new one, third time explained to me it was port 4 2.1 , never been confused about

Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

From what i know HDfury is a good one, i discover that adapter since i’m on Sonos Users FB group, Sonos recently launched a new soundbar called Arc wich support dolby atmos via hdmi eArc, since the eArc is a very new thing for all that adapter is really helpful, and 2020 tvs are really not affordable at the moment, AV1 is always the same, no info about, and i don’t even use Youtube at all so i don’t really care, 8K sounds cool but it seems pretty useless for a very long time

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

I actually also bought my (75") TV back in October 2019, though I had to wait a few weeks to get it delivered as the store had to wait to re-stock the model. I even got a free Galaxy S10e 128 phone from Samsung (through a campaign for those who bought a new QLED TV around that time). It seems this confusion happens in different countries, as I live in Norway, but are referred to a Swedish support person, and others from other countries have gotten the conflicting answers, even different answers... What I have noticed is that the support staff has to take the question from a customer and then have to ask a technician and then have to tell the customer what the technician said... Totally hopeless customer service system as the customer should talk to the technician directly as sometimes the support staff might misunderstand and would not be able to take follow up questions - or corrections (in what they re-tell)... This is why I use this forum as I do not trust those I have talked to at the customer support telephone (even the chat has the same problem as you can see), but the problem here is that most of the time the Samsung (official) staff never answers...

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

The HDfury has not been released yet, but their e-mail support seems to be knowing their stuff, so I look forward to a review after its release in November (2020). By the way, do you know what an EDID is and how to give them an "EDID dump" ? I got this additional answer from them when presenting the frustration I had about the HDMI 2.1:

"I'm not sure how they can get 8K60 to any chipset that is not 2.1, 2.0b is limited to 8K30 420 8b

I guess people will need to get an 8K60 capable source to verify this claim. sounds unlikely to me.
In all cases, if that is supported as they said, then the EDID should already reflect them, do you have any EDID dump or any of our devices that be used to dump the TV EDID ?"
0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Extended display identification data, don’t know how it works ask them

0 Likes
overclock45
Explorer
Options

Is a shame that samsung refuse to bring back to 900 series 2019 the AV1 codec, only for  business (awful) strategy.

i buy a 8K as the flahship of 2019, and you are not capable to give me what i paid for ?

shame on you samsung.

a codec upgrade, utube, not samsung should be mandatory with a large firmware upgrade.

This is very easy to perform, plz do it.

0 Likes
NCudmore
Explorer
Options

Just out of curiosity, has anyone checked the CODEC used by the Samsung phones to capture 8k video? 

Oh and I did notice there is a "SAMSUNG 8K UHD 4320p 60fps true black TECH Demo" dated Dec. 2018 on youtube 

0 Likes