Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codec AV1 Youtube 8K

(Topic created on: 15-08-2020 09:24 AM)
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Hi all! Is there any chance to get the codec AV1 to play youtube 8K videos on the Q900R,Q950R,Q900RB? Like new Samsung models Q950T  presented at CES 2020 will be able to play 8K videos on YT, what about us owners of 2018 model? Thanks

156 REPLIES 156
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@Hazzard wrote:

Hi!

I haven't unpacked my Q950R yet, it's waiting for me in the hallway at home while I'm on holiday. I got a good deal on it at around 3500$. I was looking forward to watching YouTube 8K videos but sadly I found out on this forum today that this is not possible. 

But! As I see it there is no other 75" TV on the market today with the same specs and picture abilities as this model at this price point. So, should I return the TV and get a full refund or should I keep it and just enjoy the picture quality as it is, although there's no chance of playing back 8k content via any streaming service integrated in the TV.

Are you guys happy with the TV besides the stupendous YouTube mess?

Most of us are NOT happy with having bought an 8K TV that cannot show 8K.

It is extra messy since this is a hardware problem, and not something that would be possible to change in the software - it is the same mess with lack of the HDMI 2.1 and eARc, which we also do not really have a solution for yet... The question is if this AV1 codex for 8K play on YouTube will available in an external device in the future (for example in the upcoming game consuls or Apple TV so that we would be able to use this TV for what it has been marketed and sold for. The best solution would be if Samsung would fix these three errors by offering REAL HDMI 2.1 (not the mysterious 2.0 which "accept 8K", which they cannot give us more details about) and sort out the eARC and AV1 codec. 

By the way, I assume this AV1 codex hardware problem is not in the screen itself, but in the One Connect Box as the rest of the problems we are having ?

0 Likes
Hazzard
Apprentice
Options

Hi Per!

It's a pain in the ass, yes. 

But aside from the 8k playback and HDMI horror, how is the TV performance? Does it upscale well from 720p sources like canal digital? How does NRK look from the app? Does Netflix look good with HDR+?

Maybe it's another thread or even PM material. I'm just trying to find out how good the TV is with regular sources 🙂

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@Hazzard wrote:

Hi Per!

It's a pain in the ass, yes. 

But aside from the 8k playback and HDMI horror, how is the TV performance? Does it upscale well from 720p sources like canal digital? How does NRK look from the app? Does Netflix look good with HDR+?

Maybe it's another thread or even PM material. I'm just trying to find out how good the TV is with regular sources 🙂

I have not tried the upscale from 720p - not so sure how it works to be honest... I am not able to see in which picture resolution when watching NRK (through the NRK TV app I have on my One Connect Box), but if I watch NRK through my external TV decoder it shows in "1920x1080 50p HDMI UHD Color". How can I check when watching the NRK app on my OCB ? It does not come up when I push the inner circle button on the remote... By the way, I have just switched to an Altibox TV decoder through Viken Fiber with 500/500 speed.

If you find out a way to test the TV for optimal picture, then let me know. I assume you tested the compressed 8K videos that you have to download on a USB stick ?

0 Likes
Hazzard
Apprentice
Options

Haven't unboxed the TV yet. I'm unsure if I should keep it. Can you tell me if you're pleased with the TV besides the 8k and HDMI issues?

I believe NRK broadcasts 720p and then the Altibox/canal digital tv box upscales to 1080p. 

Are you happy with the quality of Netflix 4k and so on.. 🙂

Thank you

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@Hazzard wrote:

Haven't unboxed the TV yet. I'm unsure if I should keep it. Can you tell me if you're pleased with the TV besides the 8k and HDMI issues?

I believe NRK broadcasts 720p and then the Altibox/canal digital tv box upscales to 1080p. 

Are you happy with the quality of Netflix 4k and so on.. 🙂

Thank you

I have not tried any streaming sites like Netflix, etc. yet, nor do I have a 4K Blu-ray player, but I have only tried 4K on YouTube which looks beautiful on my 75" screen Q900R (the model before yours). It is very interesting what you mentioned that NRK TV broadcasts in only 720p. and that I might be watching upscale. Mind you I had a Samsung 55" LED-TV ES8005 TV before that, but other than not be able to fully enjoy the 8K, I really love the 4K videos on YouTube. There is also questionable if the human eye would see any difference between 4K and 8K, but I think 75" is in the lower size frame limit (some say 80-82) that we should be able to notice a difference - some guy in here tested the New York 12K clip in (compressed ?) 8K via a USB stick and could see the sign on the taxis in the street. I have not yet been able to test that clip as I do not have a big enough USB stick. Plus I think Netflx has lowered the resolution now...

0 Likes
Hazzard
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for replying!

Would you agree that there's few if any other options for a 75" size TV at the same price point with better picture quality? I do believe Samsung has put it's highest quality components and technology into this model. So besides the LG OLEDCOLED 77" witch costs a lot more money, is there another option for me or should I just keep the 950r? 

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@Hazzard wrote:

Thanks for replying!

Would you agree that there's few if any other options for a 75" size TV at the same price point with better picture quality? I do believe Samsung has put it's highest quality components and technology into this model. So besides the LG OLEDCOLED 77" witch costs a lot more money, is there another option for me or should I just keep the 950r? 

I am not a technical guy to ask this, so hopefully someone with more experience and understand would give you a much better answer, but from a marketing and sales point, I strongly think and believe it was wrong for Samsung to sell these TVs as 8K TVs when these TVs will not (yet) give you the 8K option, especially on YouTube.

My best advice is to also ask these questions on a Facebook group "Samsung QLED TV Owners" run by a guy with really great knowledge (and he does not work for Samsung).

0 Likes
Hazzard
Apprentice
Options

Ok, thanx! 🙂

0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

HD fury created an eArc adapter, preorder now

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

This is what I thought might be a future upcoming option to fix the eARC and AV1 codec problem on our TVs: An external device, but the problem is the lack of HDMI 2.1 ports on our TVs (for the 8K AV1 codec). Plus I would wait for a device that has solved both (or all) problems, so I don't end up with a bunch of different devices.

By the way, notice it says in the information "World First eARC HDMI2.1 adapter!" - I wonder if that is a writing error...

0 Likes