Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Samsung TVs record in standby (Freesat and Freeview)

(Topic created on: 22-11-2021 08:50 AM)
Options

I’m looking to get a Samsung TV with freesat, so I went into Currys to ask a few questions.

One in particular was around recording from freesat or Freeview in standby mode.  On site at this branch there was a Samsung rep and a Samsung trainer and both appear to be clueless about the TVs functionality and could only demo anything in HDMI mode.

I said that it was particularly important to me that freesat record on standby. I asked this question because there are forums where people are complaining that their TV does not record in standby and they are still waiting for a solution many months later.

As neither of the Samsung reps new the answer to this they phoned through to their training centre to ask the question. After 30 minutes of waiting, I was informed that they still hadn’t had a response but they were sure it did. I was not sure that it did but sure that the only thing they wanted to happen was that I purchased the Samsung TV.

Yesterday six weeks later I went back into the store and spoke to the rep who I spoke to initially and reminded him of my question which he clearly recalled. I asked why he hadn’t called as he had promised and he said he was still waiting for a response from the training centre who hadn’t yet got back to him.

Either he is lying, the TV doesn’t record in standby or Samsung’s response times from their head office i.e., the trainer is absolutely abysmal.

I would really like to know of people using this channel if there Samsung TV records from Freeview or freesat in standby mode. At least then the Samsung trainer could also be reliably informed and give the feedback to the rep so he can tell customers the truth

11 REPLIES 11
AndrewL
Options

@inspectorGadget21: I've had a look into this for you, and the Schedule Recording feature doesn't appear to work in standby mode. If your have a Sleep Timer of Auto Power off setting applied, then the recording will override this, and switch off the TV when the recording is complete, so it seems that the recording won't work if the TV isn't on. 

Options

I find that an odd feature not to have and even more so that Samsung reps either don’t know or are reluctant to say so. So, I can record through the night, if my TV is left on. Hardly a feature that you would advertise on the flyer

Come on Samsung, your followers expect more!!

0 Likes
Options

Hi Andrew. i tried this last night. I scheduled a recording through the guide, put it in standby, turned on x2 hours later and it appeared to record. I have seen other posts that suggest this issue is very hit and miss 

0 Likes
slast
Apprentice
Options

I am having a similar issue with a new Frame 43 (bought just over a week ago). I have just put in a new 256GB high speed USB drive, tried to schedule a short (approx 5 min) recording but there appears to be no content.  However the drive itself is showing approx 113mb now occupied although it also shows no content on Windows Explorer. Just attempted a different programme one. TV is turned off so on standby.  Will update this thread with any new info.        

0 Likes
slast
Apprentice
Options

Update:  returned to find that under the "recordings" item on the home page both programmes are listed but with zero content and a message that says "unable to record because scheduled time and programme time do not match".  Both were set from the guide.  ???  

0 Likes
slast
Apprentice
Options

Discoverd that every time I went to the guide I now find it asking if I wish to cancel "Time shift".   This persists aftre I select cancel. However after turning the TV itself off and now back on again I seem to have a short item recorded from the guide OK.       

0 Likes
Options

i have noticed the same recentley, yet theres not been any software update. The software on these products seems to be so tempramental 

0 Likes
Options

ive not tried to read content via windows, but i do know from other products that the format and content tyoe is unreadble in windows.

Did you format the drive in the TV

0 Likes
slast
Apprentice
Options

Yes, I let the TV format it.  I checked it back in my laptop just to see whether the drive was actually empty or there were a couple of files/folders that had content even if it was unreadable.   Anyway, it seemed to work as it should in the end last night.