Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio output keeps switching to TV Speakers

(Topic created on: 25-02-2023 11:12 PM)
elFarto
Student
Options

I've just bought a UE43AU8000, and I'm having an issue with the audio setup. It's connected to a Sony DAV-DZ260 DVD Home Theater System via HDMI (on the ARC port) and Optical.

The main issue is that when you switch the audio output on the TV from 'TV Speakers' to 'Receiver (HDMI)', it will switch back to 'TV Speakers' in a few seconds. In the few seconds it is outputting to 'Receiver (HDMI)' everything is working perfectly, audio is being outputted over the optical cable, and volume control is going over HDMI. Switching it to 'Optical' output does stick, but obviously I lose volume control.

Now I realise that the receiver is pretty old now, and doesn't support ARC or eARC, but the TV is capable of doing exactly what I want, it just won't stay there.

Does anyone know how to fix this, and get it to stay on the 'Receiver (HDMI)' output setting?

202 REPLIES 202
crashburn162
Apprentice
Options

I tested it with Yamaha 2050 and 3050 . This is just poor software support from Samsung. As I said in another post only work around for now is to power up the receiver first then it the TV. Then speakers work although in th TV it says "Tv Speakers" sound is coming from the receiver.

Xero711
Apprentice
Options

I think I got it. Samsung’s software is definitely wonky. Nothing’s changed in my setup from my earlier post. 

If I select my receiver (HDMI 4) and power off my TV, the receiver stays on and the tv switches to tv speakers on next power on. So the “fix” for my setup is to select any other HDMI source other than the receiver before powering off the TV.

0 Likes
Morawake
First Poster
Options

Have this same issue with both digital audio out and aux out. Still happens even if nothing is connected to the eARK HDMI port. I thought it might be the energy saving feature of my amp, but even when I switched that out the problem continues. Not sure what it causing it. Sometimes it stays on headphone for a couple days. 

Using an S95B.

0 Likes
Maria H
First Poster
Options

I'm guessing there's no fix for this yet? I have a Class QN85B Samsung Neo QLED 4K Smart TV (2022) and Sonos sound bar and two surround sound speakers for my sound system. It has been working fine for like 2 months and now it keeps reverting back to the speakers on the TV. At first I would just change it in the settings and then turn the TV off and on and it would reset it but now I can't get it off of the TV speakers at all. 

The Sonos system is working fine for music but the TV won't play. It sees it in the settings and it says it connects but then it just plays through the TV speakers. Connected through HDMI 

Very frustrating. 

0 Likes
JBP3
Explorer
Options

Extremely frustrating. I'm currently shopping for an 85" TV and a premium monitor for my PC. I will spend thousands of dollars for these products. Samsung products will not be considered. In addition, I recently discovered that the auto update setting has reset to update by default, even though I changed it. I likely will never buy another Samsung product because of this.

0 Likes
Marc Foreman
Apprentice
Options

For what it’s worth, despite the reported problems, I believe the Samsung picture quality in their qn95 range is outstanding and surpasses oled in a darkened room with higher peak brightness and zero risk of image retention, especially if calibrated using smart calibration to 200 nits.

The auto update triggers if you have the smart things app and have it set to auto update. This not only updates itself but also all devices it’s connected to.

I’m currently running 1420 on a QN95B 75” and find it to be very stable. 1430 has recently been released and having turned off auto update I see a periodic note on startup which informs me an update is available. Don’t select any options - just let the note disappear on its own and the tv will not auto update.

I agree though that it is frustrating. If the picture wasn’t so good I would have returned it myself.

0 Likes
lwiuff
Student
Options

So you're saying that every time I want to watch TV, I need to turn off my Bluetooth Mouse and keyboard? That is ridiculous. I have an older Samsung ADR that worked perfectly with another Samsung TV, yet the new TV keeps switching from Optical to TV speakers...

Obviously, I am not alone. I will try your suggestion, but, really, Samsung?

0 Likes
Xero711
Apprentice
Options

I experience a similar issue with my setup. My receiver is plugged in via HDMI to the eARC HDMI port. If I have the receiver HDMI source selected when I power off the TV, the TV speakers will be selected the next time I turn on my TV. Also I’ll have to manually turn on the receiver and switch to the receiver for sound in the TV settings.

If I select any other HDMI source before powering off the TV, everything works fine. The receiver will power off/on with the TV and be selected for sound in settings when I turn on the TV. Give that a try to see if it fixes the problem. 

0 Likes
DiscoCowboy
Student
Options

Woke up this morning to the same problem everyone has been describing. Have a 2019 Q80 and a Denon X4800H and everything has been perfect until today. First thing I noticed was that my receiver didn't power on with the tv when I powered everything on with my Directv remote. Normally it does. I powered on the receiver with it's remote but sound kept reverting back to tv speakers after about 10 seconds.

I tried multiple suggestions on here, but nothing worked. Finally, I went into setup on my receiver, went to Video/HDMI Setup and under HDMI Control, and I saw that ARC was set to OFF for some reason. I changed it to ON, and everything works perfect now. Not sure how or why ARC got turned off. This may have just been something weird with a Denon software update, but maybe it will help somebody.

JoeC2
First Poster
Options

I've had exactly the same with my Q70R and X2800H. ARC was randomly turned off! I never would have suspected as it worked briefly when switching the TV to receiver output. Thank you! 

0 Likes