Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Frame TV light sensor adjustment not working in Art mode

(Topic created on: 19-05-2020 02:59 AM)
Bbourgeo
Student
Options

Recently purchased the 2020 65" Frame TV, and very happy so far with one exception:

I understood that the light sensor helped adjust the lighted art display level to match surrounding light levels.  So far this doesn't seem to be working for us, giving the art an unnatural "glow" in the evenings or even midday when the lights are off in the living room in favor of sunlight.  The only partial solution seems to be manually changing the brightness within the Art mode settings, which I refuse to do multiple times a day.  Am I missing something here?  Please help.

46 REPLIES 46
clwinn04
First Poster
Options

@Dpeezie,

Does it work in the sense that it dims a little bit at night? Or does it actually turn off when you turn the lights off in the house? I've made these changes to my settings in the past with no luck.

Here's what I have:

Brightness: about 40%

Sleep After: off

Motion Detector Sensitivity: High

Night Mode: on

0 Likes
Dpeezie
Apprentice
Options

Using app settings similar to what you posted above, I've been able to get it to dim when the interior lights are lowered.  It still does not look as good as the smaller 2019 version, but the app settings have given results beyond what I could get with the TV settings alone.  I think a lot of things about the 2020 75" version are not as good as the 2019 43" version - picture quality, responsiveness to the ambient light, motion detection, art mode, etc.  It's just not as good of a TV.  But by turning the Brightness down in the Art Mode app settings, I was able to get it to dim in Art Mode when the ambient lights are dim.  

0 Likes
francois2021
Apprentice
Options

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/the-frame-2021-50-brightness-auto-adjust-doesn-t-work/td-p/45...

--> I did some measurements, the issue is that the feature is not aggressive enough. 

0 Likes
Steku
Journeyman
Options

I have Frame 32" 2022. I measured how the automatic brightness adjustment works in the Art mode with the photo DSLR camera, by going from complete dark room to extremely bright. It works but is not sensitive enough. The full scale of automatic adjustment is 1/2 step (EV). This is equivalent of one step of manual adjustment in the Art mode. It should be at least 4x more sensitive (2 EV) to properly react to the varying level of room illumination. Unfortunately in 32" 2022 frame there is no option to adjust the brightness sensor sensitivity.

It's either a software bug or poor design decision by Samsung:

- not enough range of the brightness sensor response,

- no option to set the sensitivity.

My measurements revealed that TV mode brightness settings don't affect the Art mode brightness settings.

0 Likes
zeitgeist_hl2dm
Apprentice
Options

I feel your pain.
A tech person actually answered me directly about my light sensivity issue... The problem he said was that I use LED lights that may not be compatible with the sensor .... hmmm?
And also the kind of dimming might be wrong, I have all 3 dimming types, and the best LED bulbs money can buy, I tried all combinations but its all the same. He also added that it would be impossible to make the sensor work with led lights because of the refresh rate.
EVERYONE has LED lights today, So this art tv is good to throw in the bin? My goodness surely this is something they should have thought about at the time of manufacturing it.

Does your TV also switch on by itself ? Mine does lol, as soon as ART detects motion, it showas art then turns the TV on, it is a bug they said, they are working on a fix, (since 3 months!)

What I have done isinstalled openhab, and made a rule, if the TV is not on (a scene), then if the TV is on, switch it off. Works for me, bit riddiculous that I still have to do this.

I am about to give up and hang back my oil painting honestly lol

0 Likes
Steku
Journeyman
Options

In my case (32" 2022 Frame) the issue is not related to LED lights. I tested by closing and opening the window blinds, only the natural light. In the Art mode the TV reacts to the change of the natural level (from nearly dark to direct sunlight), but three reaction is not strong enough, just 1/2 EV (photographic exposure step). It should be at least 2 EV to reflect the natural light level change. Unfortunately the TV is dumbed down, there is no control for the sensor reactivity. This is serious software design flaw.

Several users reported that turning the TV off be the light sensor (in the 32" version there is no motion sensor) may result from the original Samsung decorative frame partially obscuring the light sensor which is hardware design flaw.

0 Likes
zeitgeist_hl2dm
Apprentice
Options

Aha, well that is interesting that that model would not have the problem with LED lights?

Could others comment on this?

What I did to overcome the daylight problem was to keep manually ajusting, at some point it got better, so again maybe a different sensor.

You are quite right, the interface is totally dumbed down. There should be a way to access more features.

Something I do now is just never use picture with white in it. No matter what the white or even slightly off white always gives it away.

0 Likes
Frame43
First Poster
Options

I’ve found that by using the SmartThings app and Art Mode Settings, there is much more granular control of brightness. By repeatedly teaching the TV how bright you  like the screen in different ambient lighting, it gets better at doing it itself next time. 

It is still way off perfect, as it regularly picks a stupid brightness. But it’s better than it was before doing this!

0 Likes
Steku
Journeyman
Options

The setting in the Smart things app looks like just a manual setting, not the option for teaching The Frame 32 how should it set the brightness depending on the ambient light level.

Could you confirm is you automatically have different brightness level depending on the ambient light level?

0 Likes
Frame43
First Poster
Options

Yes. The teaching is just manually adjusting.

A showery, variable cloudy day is best, as the room brightness changes a lot. Just sit. When you notice the light change, look at The Frame. If the brightness looks wrong, open the app and adjust it. 

0 Likes