Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-C Headset Not Fully Supported on Tab S8 Ultra?

(Topic created on: 06-03-2022 08:46 AM)
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
I've been using a Steelseries Arctis 7P Wireless headset across Chromebooks, Pixel 5 and Galaxy Fold3 with no issue for over a year now. However, when I try to use them on my new Tab S8 Ultra via the USB-C Dongle, I'm only getting audio out of the left side. This only happens with the Tab, every other device has no issue with it. The Steelseries website states in the FAQ:

Most Modern USB-C Phones do work, but some older Samsung Galaxy phones (Galaxy Note10 or earlier) only support audio and not voice functionality via USB-C due to Samsung firmware not being updated. You can still listen to games, music, and videos, but will not be able to use the headset mic for calls or voice chat.

I would have assumed that the TabS8 wouldn't be running out of date firmware but its the only explaination I can find why a £900 tablet is not working wiuth a perfectly functional headset.

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
A quick update. I've discovered, that if I plug the headphones in using either an AUX cable via a USBC dock or by using a AUX-USBC headphone adapter then sound plays in both ears although the chatmix function doesn't work. I assume the later is due to the fact then when using a wired connection as opposed to the wireless conection via the dongle, then the headset is powered by the device rather than using its own battery.

So it seems that the Tab S8 Ultra is having issues properly recognising the headset when using the dongle but can see it fine if connected via an AUX cable (be it via dock or adapter). This is weird as mentioned previously, multiple devices using both ChromeOS and Android (versions 10 through 12) from multiple manufacturers (including Samsung!) have not had any issue with working with the headset via dongle.
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Another update. It is definitely NOT the Steelseries or the dongle that's the issue. I've just tried a different USB Wireless headset, an older Playstation one that connects via a USB-A dongle. The same problem, sound only comes out of the left speaker. So there is clearly some issue with the Tab S8 Ultra and how it sees and works with USB headsets.
0 Likes
N1NJATH3ORY
Voyager
Options
Just checked mine with usb c headphones it worked flawlessly Tab S8 Ultra 5G 256gb model I own!
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Are they wired or wireless via dongle?
0 Likes
N1NJATH3ORY
Voyager
Options
Wired
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Yeah, wired headsets don't seem to have an issue. I've tested a headset wired into an aux-USB-C adapter, which works. But two sets of wireless headphones that use a USB Dongle to connect have issues. And it's specifically an issue with the tab as they work fine with other devices; Including other Samsung android devices.

No engineer, but it's almost as if the dongles declare themselves differently to the host device.
0 Likes
N1NJATH3ORY
Voyager
Options
What wireless dongle do you own ? I'm using Bluetooth one's as well they work flawlessly as well!
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
The ones that came with each headset, since neither has Bluetooth.

The Steelseries 7P uses 2.4ghz wireless to connect to its dongle rather than Bluetooth in order to eliminate lag or audio delay. Gamers gotta game.😀 It can either connect via the dongle or via AUX. Aux to Aux works fine (although my hub only supports audio out, it appears), and AUX to USB also works fine.

The Sony one is an older stereo headset that lacks Bluetooth and connects to the console or PC via either its USBa dongle or AUX. I haven't tested its AUX.

Bluetooth headsets work without issue. I swallowed the pill and ended up buying an Arctis 9X. Mainly since the 7P doesn't work with Xbox, and that's where I'm doing most of my gaming at the moment, and because, it has Bluetooth for connecting to mobiles. And that's been working fine.
0 Likes
N1NJATH3ORY
Voyager
Options
Ahh I see have you heard of Tozo G1 wireless buds only cost under £30 ish even they have gaming mode I use them for cod mobile they have gaming mode i.e 45 millisecond response time they are perfect cheap gaming earbuds as before I was using Bose freesports awesome sound quality but horrible lag Bose are known for their crisp mids and bass Tozo G1 have surprisingly good sound but if your into heavy bass type music they hold up well but do start to distort low deep bass but if you keep the volume down they are pretty good but they am perfect for gaming dongle are so old school tech is moving fast might as well upgrade for peanuts 🥜 😉
0 Likes