Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to tether my Samsung Galaxy Tab A to my mobile phone

(Topic created on: 19-07-2021 02:33 PM)
Figroll
Journeyman
Options

I tried tethering my Galaxy Tab A 2016 Model SM-T580 to my Moto G phone without success. The phone is all set up with Bluetooth tethering switched on in Hotspot & Tethering.  I have switched on Nearby Device Scanning in More Connection Settings as I can't see any other option that I think is relevant.

QUESTION to any Tab A users:

Is tethering possible with the Tab A.

If so. how do I set it up. 

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
All your tab has to do is look for a connection so the issue is how the phone is set up or whether your carrier permits tethering. I don't know anything about Motorola devices but there's a lot called Moto G. You could try WiFi tethering as an option but I can't help you set up the phone, sorry.
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I take it your phone is the mobile hotspot? All you need to do is enable mobile hotspot on your moto G, set up the SSID and password (you shouldn't use Bluetooth hotspot as this connection is very slow bandwidth), then on your Tab A connect it to your phones hotspot using the SSID and password you set.

If it's the other way around (you're using your tablets data connection) then do the same steps outlined above only on your tablet instead.
Figroll
Journeyman
Options

Hi, thanks for replying.

I have set up WI-FI Hotspot name and password on my Moto G phone.  My ID Network allows tethering.  I'm not sure where and how I set up tethering on  my Galaxy Tab A.  Except for my WI-FI the only other connection I can use is Bluetooth. I use it successfully to transfer files between the two devices.

I have Nearby Device Scanning turned ON on More Connection Settings but a connection is not happening.

Can my Tablet be used for tethering to the phone. I'm starting to think it's not possible.

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Tethering is only set up on the device you wish to use as a hotspot. I believe what you are referring to is file transfer between devices which is something else entirely. Tethering, or mobile hotspot is the act of allowing a devices data connection to be shared to other devices, for example your mobile phones data connection. Quite simply, once the hotspot is set up, its a simple matter of connecting other devices to the hotspot via WiFi using the SSID of your hotspot. This however does not mean direct access to the hotspots internal data and storage, that is another topic altogether.

Can you clarify which is it you are having trouble with, file sharing between devices or using your phones data connection with your tablet?

To answer your direct question regarding the tablet, I see no reason why your tablet cannot use your moto Gs data hotspot as its nothing more than simply connecting to an access point like any other WiFi access. Therefore if you are having difficulties connecting, the issue is more than likely related to the hotspot settings on your mobile phone.
0 Likes
rehy645
First Poster
Options

Can you make clear which is it you are having hassle with, record sharing between gadgets or using your telephones facts connection with your pill?

0 Likes
Figroll
Journeyman
Options

I'm trying to set up a mobile hotspot on my phone so I can tether my Tab A to use the internet.  I only used the example of transferring files by bluetooth to explain that scanning works for that. 

I have easily set up my Moto G phone as a mobile hotspot. I have given it a name and set a password. It is turned ON. 

I think it's just waiting for someone to find it but what do I know I have never tried doing this before.

My  Galaxy Tab A 2016 Model SM-T580 is a different matter. That is why I'm posting here.  

I can't find any menu item or link for tethering or hotspots. That is why I  asked "Is tethering possible with the Tab A". I thought other  users of Galaxy Tab A 2016 Model SM-T580 would be able to tell me.

This is what I have done on the Tab A but it hasn't worked.

Under Connections, I selected More Connection Settings. Then I selected Nearby Device Scanning which is switched to ON. There is a little grey screen 'searching' or its flickering.  

I think this hasn't worked because my Tab A can not tether.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You need to turn on your Bluetooth on the tablet and have it scan for a new connection which will be the hotspot.
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
When you turn your moto g WiFi hotspot on all you need to do is go into your tablets WiFi settings and look for your mobile hotspot. Log in using your set password and that's it. You do not need to look for any tethering settings on your tablet as it is a client and not the tether device.

As stated before, tethering (or mobile hotspot) is the act of creating an access point on the device and sharing its connected data access, for example a mobile data connection. All you need to connect to this access point is a WiFi connection (practically all modern devices have).

A device does not require anything but WiFi access to be able to use a mobile hotspot or tether. Your tablet, like any other WiFi enabled device, fully supports tethering off a mobile hotspot, no messing around with connection settings required. All you need is the access point name and it's password (if any).
0 Likes
Figroll
Journeyman
Options

I tried that but it's not discovering any hotspot.

0 Likes