Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tab S8 Ultra cable connection to external display faulty since Updates

(Topic created on: 29-01-2023 02:44 PM)
Jeepster1
Explorer
Options
I had previously enjoyed a very smooth, non-laggy, ultra low latency with 120Hz output display connection from my Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra to my Samsung Neo QLED QE50QN90BATXXU TV, via a certified HDMI 2.1 cable connection using a USB-C to HDMI 2.1 dongle which has full 144Hz compatability at 4K compatability (had to hunt around for that special dongle).

Just to note, when I connect to the external display I simply use the default mirroring and I choose not to enable DEX. DEX itself is no doubt useful for certain situations, however I just had chosen to stick with basic mirroring through the HDMI 2.1 link as this diverts all GPU power to concentrate on driving only one display output (which is merely mirrored) and not having the GPU drawing graphics for two different outputs. Helpful for emulation of games.

Initially this was all good, because I was able to set my Samsung QN90B TV onto Game Mode with everything connected up properly and I enjoyed having extremely low almost non-existant latency in Game Mode and better still the experience was very good because I was getting 120Hz performance on the outputted display connection - fantastic! (though the TV can display up to 144Hz, however the Tab S8 Ultra's capability is a very respectful and still impressive 120Hz to the TV which looks great)... well it did look great when it had worked previously.

However, I did have a bit of a break and had not connected the Tab S8 Ultra to the TV for a period of time. Meanwhile during this period of time I had done a number of Samsung/Android System Updates (at least 3 separate updates over time), but then the problem with the connection to the TV happened.

Connecting to the external TV display is now a completely unpleasant affair. It's laggy and stuttery. The TV in Game Mode only reports a nauseous 30 fps (30Hz) and the latency is absolutely terrible and super delayed. Even the Tab S8 Ultra's own display is stuttery and laggy as well as the external display's.

I'm left feeling that I wished I had never updated the S8 Ultra. There appears to be no menu and no proper settings or means to adjust anything when connecting to external display via USB C to HDMI 2.1, something admittedly which I didn't have to do before because it all just worked properly back then.

Samsung need to fix this a.s.a.p. as the cable link is the only way to obtain virtually no latency and the S8 Ultra's 120Hz to the QN90B's external display. Just to reiterate this problem did not exist before.

5 REPLIES 5
Members_3Q3loWV
First Poster
Options

I completely agree with you, it's since the update of ONE UI 5 that I have exactly the same problem.
This is very annoying when you want to record games that only run at 30 frames per second.

0 Likes
Jeepster1
Explorer
Options
It's made further frustrating that it's taking so long for Samsung to fix the issue.

One of the main reasons I got the S8 Ultra tablet, was for it's amazing ability to display 120Hz to an externally attached 120Hz capable display for matching the S8 Ultra's own 120Hz display. It was the better choice over my Apple 12.9" iPad Pro which despite having 120Hz built-in display itself, it was/is only capable of outputing a maximum of 60Hz to an external display. The S8 Ultra was infinitely better, but now is significantly worse.
0 Likes
Jeepster1
Explorer
Options
Update 4 March 2023

Just an update on the issue/problem. I recently updated the Tab S8 Ultra to ONE UI 5.1 in the desperate hope that it would resolve the faulty issue being suffered with connectiong to an external high refresh display via HDMI 2.1, however regrettably it failed to correct the issue.

Just to reiterate that the fault/issue never existed prior to updating to ONE UI 5.0

Currently the tablet remains unusable when connected to a high refresh external display. As mentioned the horrendous latency and lag makes the experience unusable along with a sub-standard 30Hz (for 30fps).

Previously an ultra low latency, super smooth 120Hz (for 120fps) was being enjoyed and received on both the externally attached high refresh display and the tablets own display using straight forward performance maximising mirror mode.

This has yet to be fixed and rectified... please fix this Samsung a.s.a.p.
minghao6323
First Poster
Options

I have similar issue with you. I bought tab s 8 ultra for class teaching. I have a type c hub which allow me to export to 2 external projector, been using it for 4 months and it's working great.

But after the update, I cant do this anymore. one of the projector show that it's not supported, another can only export with very low res around 800x700 pixels. I had tried many other hub and cable, all doesnt work. those hub are all working well with my other phone and laptop. This Issue drive me crazy, I spent that money for my job and now it's not working anymore .

Jeepster1
Explorer
Options

To be honest I gave up and don’t use the S8 Ultra anymore and got tired waiting many, many months with no fix.

From being one of the best devices I owned, it sadly became one of the worst after the update killed the legendary 120Hz direct mirroring mode capability with the lowest almost non-existent latency.

DEX for me is totally useless and unwanted; I have a powerful laptop to give me that experience as and when needed at 50 times more performance to boot, therefore I do not like DEX and it does not compare to the once priceless and fully functioning mirror mode that produced the same 120Hz refresh on a 120Hz compatible external display with astonishing nest to no latency.

I need a high-end or flagship tablet to be a tablet with the capability of mirroring that tablets own ‘high-refresh’ display to an external screen in its entirety. I do not need a tablet mimicking a low end laptop connected to an external display.