Did you mean: 

tab s7+ stuck in Android Recovery when restart after adding user

(Topic created on: 04-05-2021 10:49 PM)
Joonohh
Journeyman
Options

Hi, 

I just got the new tab s7+ yesterday.

After i set it up with me being the primary user(admin), i added 2 new users for my sons.

And after that whenever i restart the tablet, it won't start after Samsung logo, and goes into Android Recovery.

At this point, i cannot do anything but do factory reset and have to go through the set up again. 

I already tried multiple times with this scenario and it crashes every time.

I even tried with restricted user and same result.

I tried not adding new users after the set up, and then it won't crash if i restart the tablet.

I do not have any 3rd party app installed.

I checked for any software update, but there is none.

This is what the rescue summary says after it crashes after restart:

FATAL EXCEPTOIN IN SYSTEM PROCESS: main
java.lang.NullPointerException Attempt to invoke virtual method 'boolean.com.android.server.wm.WindowManagerService.detectSafeMode()' on a null obejct reference

?at com.android.server.SystemServer.startOtherServices(SystemServer.java:2215)

?at com.android.server.SystemServer.run(SystemServer.java:899)

?at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)

?at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:496)

?at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1078)

13 REPLIES 13
paulomu
First Poster
Options

Same issue here. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" with the S Pen (SM-P205) 1 month ago, updated to the last Android version and configured with 3 users. Everything was working absolutely fine: lots of apps installed, 4G connectivity, 64GB SD card, restarted many times, not a single complain. Today I've found myself locked out of my user with the message "Try again in 30 seconds (29, 28...)". So I tried to restart it and boom:

20201222_200334.jpg

I can't believe I'll have to wipe everything and start from scratch again. I'll not buy any Samsung device again if this don't get officially answered and fixed.

coyote64
First Poster
Options

Hi,

Same issue today with a galaxy S6 lite tablet (for Europe, France).
I have 3 users on it : my 2 kids and I.
The multi-users has worked for few months now. I had few issues at the beginning (I don't remember in details) but now, I have the same blocking issue as described in this post.

20210504_231956.jpg

Here is my scenario : (in case it help any samsung support)

My tab had not much free space (a bit more than 1 Gb). I put a SD card few days ago.
But on the application menu, the option to modify the storage type was not available.
I though I may have badly formatted the SD card as external device and not internal.
So, I put it on windows and backup the couple of files on it. (around 10 video and 3 .android_secure) files.

Then, I formatted the SD card on windows (oups). I though the tablet would start without the card since almost nothing was on it yet.
But no, the tablet is stuck at the Samsumg logo.

I have a second S6 lite (I love the s-pen 🙂 ) and I tried to remove the sd card, no issue. I put the new card on it, reformatted it. Then copy from windows the 3 android_secure files I backuped.
I though the with a SD card content similar to the beginning, it would work back. Nope, I put the card again in my stucked tablet, it didn't work. It is not possible to make it start anymore : with or without the SD card. Always the same detectSafeMode null pointer exception.

The main difference between my 2 tablets is than the working on has only one user... and the stucked on has 3  users.
So I am quite sure that even the trigger of the bug might be the SD card change, the issue is linked to the multi-user too.

I have a last Samsung device (note 9) with only one user and never got this issue.

I don't want to erase all the data of my kids (one was crying tonight). So any idea would be interesting.

Hope this reply will be useful for somebody.

0 Likes
coyote64
First Poster
Options

I forgot to say I tried to launch the stuck tablet in Safe mode ny pressing the "down volume" button when starting.
It does not help, the tablet remains stuck on samsung logo

0 Likes
geri1590
First Poster
Options

Same issue here. 

Bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 LTE/Wifi (SM-T595NZKADBT) a year and a half ago. It was running with 2 users from the beginning. Some days ago I put a microSD card, and today it blowed out with this same error.

It's astonishing that I have to wipe all the data after a year and half working with it, just because I put a microSD.

0 Likes