Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONE UI 3 HAS RUINED & BROKEN SPLIT SCREEN

(Topic created on: 16-02-2021 06:59 PM)
AndroSam
Explorer
Options
I'm absolutely furious how the recent update has completely changed the way split screen works without any option to change it back to the old way - and no warning at all prior to the update.

The recent 3.0 One UI update has decreased the functionality of the split screen.
1. Only allowing app pairs
2. Not allowing integration or access to recent apps
3. Not allowing the quick swap of the left panel
4. Removing access to the homescreen whilst in split screen
5. Requiring you to make endless number of app pairs in order for you to just switch your set-up
6. Completely breaking the app pair if you press the home button.
7. Once in app pair mode - removing the individual app from your recents - making it inaccessible in full screen again
8. YouTube videos used to keep playing if on your right panel and you broke away from the split screen, now they just stop whatever you end up doing or switching too
9. If you're starting a splti screen, you most likely want to put it with one of the other recent apps you're just using. If that's not immediately in your edge app display - you have to schroll, or go through the gallery to find it - thus taking numerous extra steps just to start a split screen.

And the list goes on in a number of ways that have just made split screen useless.

You have to follow the updates in order to keep up with security updates - and often minor UI updates are welcome and OK.

But when you dramatically change the core functionality of certain aspects of the system - I suddenly have a different tablet to the one I paid for. And I spent a lot of money on the S7+ as well as time getting used to a certain workflow, expectations of functionality, and muscle memory on how these work.

This absolutely must be rolled back to it's former functionality - or at the very, very least- provide an option to use the same way as the old version. I'm certain there is no power user that would find this new version more useful.

Samsung should never make such a dramatic change to a function without initially allowing users to use it the old way if that's preferred for them.

This basically means I will not follow a system update again (because the same thing happened before years ago on my Galaxy Note 8 and it was ridiculous) - thus comprimising the security of my tablet.

Edit: Added to the list
42 REPLIES 42
AndroSam
Explorer
Options
You could do that in the first place anyway. Except before you go to your recents, click and drag it into pop view without disrupting your split screen layout. Now it just takes you over to the homescreen. Again - it's more effort for no reason - there's no case for saying the new system is better than the old one.
0 Likes
AndroSam
Explorer
Options
Is that a thing? I have no idea what Odin is but I'll take a look.
0 Likes
Ksmy89
Troubleshooter
Options
It doesn't disrupt your split screen lay out, drag it into the middle, I tested it this morning. So the only difference for this function is that you now open your edge panel to select the app to open in pop up rather than opening recent tabs, doesn't seem anymore effort to me?
0 Likes
Ksmy89
Troubleshooter
Options
Yes you can roll back using smartswitch on a pc.
0 Likes
Ksmy89
Troubleshooter
Options
Like this?

Screenshot_20210217-164109_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20210217-164150_Calculator.jpg

0 Likes
AndroSam
Explorer
Options
It does disrupt the layout - only unless you select from the app edge. That's precisely the problem.
Unless the app you immediately need to reach for in pop up view is on your edge display then great - but if it's not you have to start browsing through the app tray. When it's right there in your recents all along.

With the amount of different apps people use it's not always likely that app you need is immediately there in the app edge.
AndroSam
Explorer
Options
Try pulling up an app into pop up - that you were just using - but doesn't happen to be in the edge app tray - and see how much fun / work that actually is.
0 Likes
AndroSam
Explorer
Options
Good to know, but ***** what a pain in the ass. Be good if they just warned you or added legacy feature option into the build.
0 Likes
Ksmy89
Troubleshooter
Options
You get access to 4 recent apps on the edge panel, not including the 3 most recent ones you may have open in split screen, so that 7 of your most recent apps and you can add 22 regularly used apps to the edge panel.

I'm not trying to disagree with you that this version is better or trying to change your mind, I'm just trying to help you work with firmware you have now 👍
0 Likes
AndroSam
Explorer
Options
4 is not enough. And it doesn't improve on the fact you could do it with any app you liked in the previous version. Look at this example - if I need to pull up my battery info, VPN, playstore or authenticator, I'd be unable too - unless I go to the trouble of adding them the app tray, assuming I even regularly need them.

The previous version negated all of this.
We're having to work around something that wasn't a problem before and now is.

Screenshot_20210217-184135_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20210217-184333_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20210217-184304_Gallery.jpg