Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Samsung Tab S8 wont set up because of slow internet

(Topic created on: 08-04-2024 02:27 PM)
alphoncemwangi
Student
Options

Just got a samsung tab s8 but set up cannot complete because it cannot connect to wifi network. It says the network is too slow but I am able to stream content. I am unsure what to do.

I have tried disconnecting all other devices preserving bandwidth for the tablet bu i am gettng the same message. My wifi speed is about 10 - 15 mbps.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
Robin999
Black Belt 
Options
Are you able to see the homescreen or is the tablet stuck on setup?
AFAIK you don't actually need an Internet connection when initially setting up your device. You should be able to skip the part where it asks for your WiFi details and any other screens that require an internet connection. You should then be taken straight to your home screen. You can then connect to WiFi when your connection is more stable and stronger and set up the things you need.

Are you not able to do this? I can't help you with your slow internet speeds and would advise you to speak to your internet provider regarding that.
alphoncemwangi
Student
Options

Many thanks. 

It does have the option to set up offline. However, I do end up needing the internet because it gets to a point where it needs to reach google services. At this point I am stuck in a loop back at square 1.

I have tried using my phone as a hotspot with speeds of >100mbps (5G connection) but it gives me the same error. It is a wifi only tablet so I can't transfer my sim card.

0 Likes
Robin999
Black Belt 
Options
If it's asking to be connected to google at the setup stage (and it shouldn't) then that would suggest some for of authentication is needed. This should only happen if the device has been set up previously and its had a reset. Are you sure the device is brand new and unused. Where did you purchase it from?
0 Likes
alphoncemwangi
Student
Options

Its a certified refurbished device from the Samsung store on Amazon.

0 Likes
Robin999
Black Belt 
Options
So not new then. Is it possible there's a Google account still linked to the device. Maybe it wasn't properly wiped before reselling. Unlikely if it was from Samsung themselves. Is there a possibility it was from an Amazon seller. Can you post the link to this item?
0 Likes
alphoncemwangi
Student
Options

Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-Included-Productivity/dp/B09NQN1SW9?ref_=ast_sto_...

I thought these devices are refurbished so that they are like new.

Any aftermarket solution?

0 Likes
Robin999
Black Belt 
Options
Thanks for that. Sold by Amazon Warehouse. Refurbished yes, as in it powers up, the screen isn't broken etc, but it's still pre-owned. Am I correct in saying you're not based in the UK?
You will need to sort out a stable Internet connection to see what happens when you enter your Google login details, because at this stage its impossible to foresee the result. Hopefully, it'll be fine and it'll set up correctly. If not, you'll have to go back to Amazon and take it from there.
0 Likes
alphoncemwangi
Student
Options

I took the tablet to a Samsung shop and they were able to assist. They simply reset it to factory settings and it works fine now.

0 Likes