Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encryption and factory resets

(Topic created on: 4 weeks ago)
Members_SQNyBag
First Poster
Options

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 running  Android Lollipop. I want  to dispose of it safely. I have encrypted the device and performed a factory reset.

All I want to know, please, is whether all my data is now unable to be retrieved and read.

I seem to understand from other sources that during the factory reset the encryption key will have been disabled so none of my data will be readable. Is this correct?

Also I'm puzzled to find that there is so-called Android Recovery software online which says you can recover data lost through a factory re-set. No mention is made as to whether the device you are using to do this has been encrypted. I hope someones can reassure me and answer my questions definitively.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
Robin999
Maestro
Options
Factory reset is just what it says. None of your data will survive. When the device is next switched on, it'll be just like it was when first purchased. Don't forget to check your Google account (if any) and unlink your device (usually best to do that prior to wiping). In fact, do this for all linked accounts and services Inc 2 factor authentication. Don't forget to unregister device on Samsung account.
Members_SQNyBag
First Poster
Options

Thank you for your reply. However, I have read several accounts online that say a factory re-set on its own is not completely secure as noted above in my comment about Android Recovery software. I did unlink my Google account but not my Samsung one. Can i do that on another Samsung device?

0 Likes
Robin999
Maestro
Options
Don't believe everything you read online....You can unregister your Samsung device via the website.
0 Likes