Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does adaptive brightness work?

(Topic created on: 20-12-2020 02:47 PM)
dl123456
Journeyman
Options

Got tab A7.  with adaptive brightness enable the screen goes dark then bright again every 5-10 seconds.

Is that normal?   Currently the adaptive brightness feature is unusable in my opinion.

6 REPLIES 6
dl123456
Journeyman
Options

Hmmm ....guessed the sensor was going to be around the camera but still just seems to be very random.     Turned it off...seems to be the best answer.

0 Likes
GreyMatter
Helping Hand
Options

adaptive brightness sounds great on paper, but in practice so far, it's like someone playing with the dimmer control in your lounge..... annoying ! Just disable it and adjust manually as required

0 Likes
FlyingKiwi
Navigator
Options
As a workaround, disabling Adaptive Brightness is a good step BUT (and its a big but), my Tab A (2018 10.5) has reliable Adaptive Brightness functionality so I suspect that this shows bugs with Samsungs implementation of this technology on specific devices.

I'd be reporting the matter to Samsung and creating a ticket for them to look at fixing this (using the Get Help button in the Samsung Members App). The squeaky wheel gets oiled and if no one tells Samsung about this issue with their device, its unlikely to get fixed.
GreyMatter
Helping Hand
Options
as is often the case. Using an s20+ and it depends dramatically on the surroundings as to it's effectiveness.
I have no issues with adjusting brightness manually. After all, it's mearly a swipe down to access the graphical fader.
The s20+ for me has been quite a disappointing experience. I have reported numerous issues, numerous times, a few updates have been released, but still, the camera for example, is awful when using the 64mp settings unless your in 100% perfect conditions and have time to wait for focusing.
I am in constant communication with Samsung, so I do somewhat agree with letting them know of problems, but (and it's a huge but), Samsung should concentrate on beta testing product functionality fully, before releasing it and making advertising claims that clearly have not been tested, so the product does not live up to promises and expectation.
I'm no "noob" when it comes to technology and even beta testing (I work with many manufacturers doing this), however the more Samsung continues to release products, the more lazy their workmanship becomes
FlyingKiwi
Navigator
Options
Thanks @GreyMatter for detailing your experiences with the S20+ (which is also a new device). I say new but my other brand phone still received Android 11 far in advance of Samsung's phones. Additionally, because it doesn't have any third party skins, it just works (including its adaptive brightness function).

I've had my phone since I bought it a couple of years ago as a factory refurbished device with a significant discount (much like my Samsung Tab A). I'm afraid RRPs are just to much for my liking these days on the high spec stuff so I'll always go for cheaper options while still getting the device I'm interested in. If I could get a skinless tablet too I would have grabbed one in a flash but my phones manufacturer doesn't do tablets anymore and Samsung seemed the best in what was available in this field. One of my employers provided me with a Tab A (of the previous version to mine) for some of the work I was undertaking at the time and that also tempted me to buy my Tab A when it showed up heavily discounted online.

I know what you mean about being a Beta Tester - been there and done that many times myself too. Sometimes I feel with some released products, I still am (unofficially). Whats really frustrating is when you spot a bug and report it and then the company responsible does nothing to fix it. Samsung is looking to replace its own email app with Microsoft Outlook for Android. I've reported a bug with copying to clipboard within the app to both Samsung AND Microsoft (several times over months) yet to this day in 2020, the bug is still there.

If you want to know what it is, if the app is installed on either an Android phone or tablet which is capable of phonecalls through a cellular connection, when attempting to copy any number to the clipboard from an email in the inbox, the number is always treated like a phone number giving a choice to either call the number or copy the phone number (which automatically adds the STD prefix to it before copying to the clipboard). By all means if you're keen to fix this too, please report it as the more who do so, the sooner it'll be fixed (so hopefully Samsung doesn't get bombarded with complaints when they withdraw/stop supporting their own email app and expect people to move over to Outlook). I say vote with your wallet where possible when buying new devices!
abc_34
Explorer
Options

Its a shame really. How come Samsung cant implement such a basic feature properly on some of their devices. I experienced this issue on Galaxy Tab A7 recently and seen same issue on Galaxy j7 prime before. Looks like some Samsung models have this issue of auto brightness not working properly.

0 Likes