Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I update from Android 7 on my Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T813?

(Topic created on: 08-07-2021 04:45 PM)
cliff-g
Journeyman
Options
I have a Tab S2 and am starting to get some apps say I need to update them. But I can't as the updated apps don't support as far back as Android 7.  So how do I update to 8 or higher?  The Settings check for updates manually just says I am on the latest version.  The Samsung support chat person said the device is scheduled for update but can give no timescale.  I also can't quite believe when my phone is nagging me to go to 11 that this tablet is stuck on 7.  Does anyone have any advice?  Thanks.   #android7  #update
22 REPLIES 22
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It's quite an old tablet. There haven't been any updates for years and won't be any further ones. I still use mine,it's a great tablet.
cliff-g
Journeyman
Options
Doesn't feel that old! Must check when I bought it, but istr 3 years. So not really very happy that it's obsoleting itself already.
cliff-g
Journeyman
Options
Also, the official Samsung chat gave wrong info.
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@cliff-g: I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment. The Galaxy Tab S2 launched in 2015 on Android 5.0.1, and can be updated to Android 7, but there are no plans for further Android versions to made available for this model. I understand that this isn't ideal, however typically our phones and tablets will receive software updates for around 2 years from the release date. 

0 Likes
cliff-g
Journeyman
Options
23 August 2018
0 Likes
cliff-g
Journeyman
Options
Andrew, thank you for the information. I thought that was probably the case but was unable to find any credible info elsewhere, including the Samsung chat. Have to consider what to do next. If too many apps become unsupported on 7, it's not a great encouragement to buy another!
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It had passed its sell by date when you bought it, in technology term a 3 year old device is ancient I got mine at launch. Battery is good, still works fine which is testament to how well these devices are made.
0 Likes
cliff-g
Journeyman
Options
All that may be true and a fact of modern life, but still pretty galling. My wife's iPad actually IS ancient (6+ years) but still gets happily updated
0 Likes
rdf-
First Poster
Options

Agreed, what gooid is it if it is 2-3 years old, still has good battery life and still would work fine if the OS could be updated for 4-5 years?  Basically samsung is saying that you need to spend $1000+ on their device every 2 -3 years if you want it to work with today's apps.  Remember to choose the more costly approach.  You should buy a newly released device, not last years model, when it first comes out because the clock is already ticking on the OS.  I do like my tab but really? Only two years?  How about charging me $50 a year for the next 5 years to keep it current? I'd pay that.