Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S20+ Which camera use and how to set it up?

(Topic created on: 06-05-2020 09:49 PM)
Libb
MegaStar
Options

I haven't written anything about photography for a while, so I feel it's the time to fix it. After all, when, if not when the new generation of Galaxy S has arrived?

Zoom

The Samsung Galaxy S20+ has 3 cameras: main, wide angle and zoom.

So first we look at the zoom camera.

I took 3 photos for you, each with a different zoom. So my S20 + should always use a different camera module.

zoom 0.5xzoom 0.5x zoom 1xzoom 1x zoom 3xzoom 3x

As you can see, there is half the street on the widest focus, 3 houses on the basic module and 3 windows on the zoom.

Let's see what it looks like if we put the 3 photos on top of each other:

zoom.jpg

Here it is even better to see the difference between modules. So don't be afraid to use all three modules. Switch between them easily by clicking the tree icon. The fewer trees, the more detailed you take a photo.

But beware! This applies if there is enough light! Under low light conditions, the wide-angle (f / 2.2) and telephoto (f / 2.0) lenses will appear less bright. It doesn't seem like that, because the basic lens has an f / 1.8, but even this few difference indicate almost half the light transmission of a wide-angle lens.

Of course, if you need a wide shot, the widescreen module is irreplaceable, but if you want to zoom, consider if you prefer to use cropping or just have less detail.

Aspect Ratio

And now let's look at another setting, namely the aspect ratio. You may have noticed that the camera settings only have the option to set the resolution for video, but no longer for photos. All that is available is the aspect ratio setting. We can choose from ratios of 4: 3, 16: 9, 1: 1 and Full.

Screenshot_20200422-064046_Camera.png

What is what and when to use? Again we will first show the pictures:

1:11:1 4:34:3 16:916:9 FullFull

Well, what's going on? The table with the resolution of each picture will tell us more:

AspectRationAndResolution.png

As we can see, the 4:3 aspect ratio has the highest resolution. 1:1 is the same in height but smaller in width, then 16:9 and Full are preserved in width, but the height is reduced.

Here is again one picture with all images:

ratios.jpg

The whole photo is 4:3, others are highlighted by colored rectangles. Here I would like to point out that, as in the first case with zoom, I did not just paint lines into one photo, but I really stacked the individual photos on top of each other. After all, it's a bit visible, because I don't have a proper tripod at home right now, so the cell phone moved a bit during the photo shoot.

The 4:3 aspect ratio uses the entire area of ​​the chip, other ratios crop the photo.

So the idea is to always take photos in a 4: 3 ratio and if necessary crop the photos at home. I recommend it and I do it, but there are exceptions.

We can use the 1:1 aspect ratio if we know we want to share the photo only on Instagram.

The 16:9 aspect ratio makes sense if we present photos on TV (they usually have this aspect ratio).

Full uses exactly the entire area of ​​the mobile phone display, if we show photos on it, it makes sense.

But it is important to realize that anything other than 4:3 means irreversibly discarding some information.

Xiaomi 14 Ultra White | Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 256GB
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro | Samsung Galaxy Buds / Buds2 / Buds2 Pro

36 REPLIES 36
danitudi971
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

Nice article :smiling-face:

See you soon!

Un assistente vocale per il tuo ecosistema Galaxy: Bixby

m_h1
Samsung Helper
Options

Great info, thanks for the share!

DannyT
Options
Every time you post a photography post, I learn something new. Great post!

Welcome to the Community!

Tayta
Journeyman
Options

Is anyone else seeing a lag between pressing capture and the pic being taken? I'm seeing anything up to 1-2 seconds sometimes! That can't be right. I get the haptic feedback once it takes so I can count the time between press and capture and its terrible.

I only ever capture to internal memory. Not using 108mp or scene optimiser. Is this a known issue or am I doing/not doing something?

Appreciate any advice 👍 

0 Likes
Libb
MegaStar
Options

As you mentioned 108 Mpx I suppose you have Ultra. I have S20+ but we can ask @fajnSnek , he has Ultra, do you have that issue, Oldo?

fajnSnek
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

@Tayta I will check it tomorrow, and I will let you know. :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

fajn-Snek-podpis-B

0 Likes
Tayta
Journeyman
Options
Thanks. And yes this is the Ultra.

I should also point out that I updated to the latest software which was supposed to fix a lot of camera delay and focus loop issues.
Mine seems to be still suffering a delay between press and take.

0 Likes
Noddi
Journeyman
Options

So the best camera mode is 4:3 (or 4:3 64Mp)?

Libb
MegaStar
Options

4:3 uses the main sensor (12Mpx for S20 and S20+, 108 Mpx for Ultra but processed to 12Mpx), 64 uses zoom sensor for S20/S20+ and main sensor for Ultra.

I recomend using 4:3 if possible and switch to higher resolution only when you really need that.