Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Micro SD to increase internal memory Galaxy S7

(Topic created on: 04-01-2021 10:28 AM)
Meruki
First Poster
Options

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 which has 32GB internal memory and also have a 256GB MicroSD card.  

How can I use the MicroSD card to increase the internal memory?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
Im not sure if it option is still available to format an sd card to be used as internal storage. If its still an option it is found in the developer options and is just a simple toggle. Developer options are found in settings, it is hidden until activated. To activate developer options go to device info and tap on "build number" 5 times. After that you will have a new option in ur settings menu at the bottom called developer options.
Meruki
First Poster
Options
Thank you for that. However where is Developer Options? I have gone into settings and searched but I just cannot find it.
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Using this type of storage is no cure for lack of internal memory. Further, SD cards are slow and unreliable so you stand to lose all of your data in the event of SD card failure.
0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
Go to settings>about phone>software information. Then look where it says "build number" and click it 5 times or so. That will activate the developer options, it is a hidden feature you must active first, using the method above.
When using as sd card as internal storage make sure you use one that has a U3 speed rating and is a reputable brand. An example would be the SanDisk Extreme Pro series of cards.
Meruki
First Poster
Options
Thank you. Developer Options is now visible and it has opened several features and I do not want to touch until I know what they are. I wonder if you could tell me which of these options would let me use my 256 micro SD card as internal memory. Thank you.
0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
There is a toggle setting near the bottom of the list called "force allow apps on external", turn it on.

Then head to a downloaded app that you want to move to the sd card.
Click and hold the app until some options come up, such as uninstall, app info.
Click on app info, and navigate to "storage", then at the top it will give you the option to change the location from internal storage to the sd card.

Screenshot_20210104-131127_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20210104-131422_Settings.jpg