Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SM-G930F Android 8

(Topic created on: 30-12-2020 03:53 PM)
Nolind13
First Poster
Options

We have two practically identical SM-G930F , Galaxy S7 phones. One upgraded Android 8. The other stays on Android 7. Why is this? Both are unlocked on sim only contracts. Can I force an upgrade without rooting the phone?

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You should be able to. Use Samsung Smart Switch on your PC to update. If that doesn't work let us know as there are other options.
GreyMatter
Helping Hand
Options
it will depend upon the chipset in the phone. two phones can have the same model number, but have a varient with the internals which will affect its compatibility with some updates and features. Rooting the handset may not help.
0 Likes
Nolind13
First Poster
Options

I have downloaded smartswitch and plugged the two phones in turn. One says Android version 8.0.0 Software up to date. The other Android version 7.0 Software up to date RC3(EVR) . How can one be up to date on Android 8 but the other only has Android 7.0. ?

0 Likes
SirStottalot
Pathfinder
Options
As greymatter stated. maybe identical on the outside doesn't mean the internals are. There's is never the greatest of difference between from 1 android version to the next so if its not broke, don't fix it. If you use things like G pay and Samsung pay then I strongly advise not to root. Just live with it til a time you upgrade to a new phone.
0 Likes
Nolind13
First Poster
Options

The phone running Android 8.0 works fine and manages its resources better. The one running 7.0 runs hotter. (This could be because my wife has arthritic hands and holds it in a closed fist) and the battery runs down quicker. This could be a hardware issue if they have a different chipset I suppose.  I thought that Android 8.0 may monitor battery use better. I certainly have no problems with mine.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Please confirm the baseband versions of both devices.
Nolind13
First Poster
Options

Mine running 8.0. G930FXXU8ETI3,

Hers running 7.0 G930FXXU2ARA1

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Your wife's phone appears to have combination firmware installed. This is used for testing and bypassing and removing FRP and Google account protection and verification. Did your wife forget her password at one point?
Nolind13
First Poster
Options

Not that I'm aware of. We did buy the phone from Facebook marketplace so I don't know what was done prior to us buying it. Can this be resolved? Back up to original firmware?

0 Likes