Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD card now unnaccessible after factory reset

(Topic created on: 26-12-2020 08:37 PM)
Members_9drApr6
First Poster
Options

Hi, my Samsung S8 crashed and despite all my efforts and a visit to an EE store, I had to do a factory reset. Now I cant access my SD card as it says it is set up with my 'other's phone! I have only ever used it in this phone. Ideally I would like to restore the data/pics etc but above all else I'd like to be able to use it again as its 128gig. Any ideas??!!! 

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Did you encrypt the card? If you did, the data is gone. If the phone cannot read the card, a Windows pc could repair any corruption.
SirStottalot
Pathfinder
Options
did you factory reset with card in cause that's a big no no!
Mitzzz999
Hotshot
Options
I wouldnt be surprised if the post writer didn't do it and that a member of the EE store did it. not all of them are tech savvy believe me. I've seen some just take out memory cards while the phone is on and active which risks corrupting the memory card. Anyway like Pugs1957 said... try it in a pc or laptop to see if it picks it up. hopefully it may display your data if not then a full on format might get it to work again.

sometimes it can be the quality of the memory cards themselves as there are cheap but unreliable ones knocking around especially on online stores... I normally pay that bit extra to get one from a reputable retailer and brand.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
I'd have to agree the reset may of wiped the card.

Generally I'd want to make sure I'd backed up all first then sign out of all linked accounts then do the reset.

On most if not all phones id say just before the reset turn it off then take memory cards and the sim out before powering up to the recovery menu at boot to do the reset.

as for now try the card maybe in a pc to see if it's recoverable ?
SirStottalot
Pathfinder
Options
Good mention of sim removal. on occasion a reset has erased my contacts on the sim.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Yes much better to play safe and remove sim and any memory cards , if they are not there connnected it can't zap them ...
0 Likes