Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S7 making random beep like morse code 'x' i.e. "long short short long" or da-di-di-da

(Topic created on: 22-04-2020 08:01 PM)
fbleichenbacher
Journeyman
Options

A couple of weeks ago my S7 started to make a sound like morse code 'x' at a relatively low pitch, i.e. no high frequency tone. I cannot recall having installed any 3rd party app that could have triggered this. The beeping occurs at random intervals, varying between 15 minutes and several hours (yesterday at 15:37, 15.55, 16:20, 16:39, 17:40 etc.) and is particularly annoying at 4 a.m. or so. It also occurs when the phone is on "do not disturb", which I have activated for the night hours (11pm-5am). There is no message displayed with it either, and I am unable to relate it to any incoming message, alarm or notification. Also, it is not related to NFC or any other wireless signal (WiFi, BT, SmartThings) as I have disabled them one by one, but the beeping still went on. It occurs spontaneously, independent of location (bedroom, office, kitchen, out of the house...) and is independent of the phone being moved or sitting still.

Assuming that there is nobody out there who has the same phenomenon, does anyone of you, dear readers, know of any tool which could track the origin of such beeps and thus giving me a clue as to what could cause it? Caramba, it just beeped again :-((

27 REPLIES 27
ZaighamMeer
Student
Options

Hi, 

My Samsung S7 is giving Morse code like beeps. There is no timing pattern. It takes about 10-15 minutes to several hours between beeps. The beep sound is like 'dit..dit..dit..daaa'. On the Morse code it's decode is number 3. 
I have removed many apps which could have possible given this sound, but can't get rid of this beep. 
Possible causes I can think of are:

1. I deleted some files from the internal storage. Maybe that has something to do with this. 
2. I recently updated the software version to Android 8.0.0 and sansung experience 9.0 effective date 11 March 2020. 
I will appreciate any guidance to get rid of this voice.....thinking to change to apple. 
best regards, 

Zaigham 

0 Likes
charlo
Student
Options

Am having exactly same issue with S10+ for last 4-5 days. Doesn't happen in Safe Mode but returns in normal mode. Am wondering if the morse code X is significant. Do you have any apps installed with names starting with X.  I have an Xiaomi Home app updated 4 days ago , and it's making me suspicious now...

0 Likes
fbleichenbacher
Journeyman
Options

Hi Charlo

Naah, I don't have any app starting with X on my phone. The beeps have disappeared on mine after leaving it in safe mode for a couple of hours. You are giving me a bad conscience now that mine has vanished and yours is still active ;-). 

Nl5
Apprentice
Options

Hi all,

Yeah, my S9 has stopped receiving these too after being in safe mode overnight. Hasn't beeped since. All day quiet (touch wood). I did not use any of the most recently installed apps yet. I hope that it doesn't reactivate the ***** thing.

ZaighamMeer
Student
Options

I will put my S7 into safe mode and see if it works for me. 
thanks 

0 Likes
bjhag
First Poster
Options

Similar problem just cropped up on my Samsung G9.  Tried the safe mode boot, and then back to regular mode, did not clear problem.  Do not use NFC.  Just did an update on 21

Apr.2020.  Why did this update inflict this on my phone?  Norton Security does not detect any malware.  This SUCKS!.

Usually it is the morse code for X (-..-), but at least one time it was a bit longer.  It seems to be tied to the software upgrade I just did as it was not a problem ever before that.  WTF?

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
@bjhag: Next time the issue occurs, please can you send an error report via the Samsung Members app, including a description of the issue, as this will help us to identify any current software issues. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you.
0 Likes
Domi15
First Poster
Options

i do have the same issue with the Samsung S20 Ultra 😞

0 Likes
latif_ksk
Journeyman
Options
It's been solved for me after deleting the app called Khallej Times, news app in UAE.
Nl5
Apprentice
Options

Hi Latif 

Interesting. Even though I haven't been getting the morse beeps after I rebooted after safe mode..... I also just recently installed Khaleej news app. Will open the app and see if it triggers the beeping again and perhaps delete it too if it does. Thanks for the info