Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't connect to data whenever I travel abroad

(Topic created on: 21-07-2024 02:52 PM)
Lindsay Wilson
First Poster
Options

So I have a weird one. I got a new phone (Galaxy S21+) at Christmas and put my old sim in the phone and my data wouldn't work. I was in the UK at the time visiting famile but my sim is Spanish and that is where I live. I tried everything including turning it off and on again, turning data roaming off and on again, etc. I took it to curry's and they told me that something weird was happening due to Brexit and that sometimes you have to make a 10 minute phone call in order to 'unlock' the phone for that sim. Of course, I couldn't make a phone call so I put a different UK sim card in and made the phone call and when I put my sim back in, it worked! Unfortunately however, this now happens every time I travel to another country, both directions. Obviously this is incredibly annoying and I need to know how to sort it because relying on wifi when travelling isn't the best idea.

Please help!

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
Robin999
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hi, welcome to the community.
Which country did you buy the S21+ from? Which store did you buy it from? Was it new or used?
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hello @Lindsay Wilson  

Curry's we're thinking the phone might have been region locked ,which is a feature that Samsung used to apply to help stop grey importing of phone's. 

This is the act of buying a phone in one country to then use it in another country permanently.

Depending on where the phone was sourced some maybe locked to a certain network, so as such they need to be unlocked. This can be achieved by using that networks sim card in the phone and then contacting their customer services to get the phone unlocked. Most network's have a support page on this. 

That said Ofcom in the UK stopped Networks from supplying locked phone's. 

The other option is to approach a Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock phone's, which involves a fee. 

A person can check in the phone's settings in regards to roaming to ensure that has been activated. 

And also speak with your own mobile network to ensure roaming is activated  / allowed on the contract being used. 

If i can be of any further help please don't hesitate to ask  😎 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes