Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi Wrongly Displaying "Incorrect password"

(Topic created on: 05-07-2023 10:35 PM)
PhoneHelperUK
Pioneer
Options
Hi All.

Bit of a weird one, this.

My phone and an S22 Ultra which are both connected to the same WiFi network, and have both worked for over a year now, are beginning to say "Incorrect password" whenever I connect to the network.

Simply, this is surely because of a mistyped password? Well, it cannot be, as the password has not changed since I put it in, and since it has worked for a year, this has to be the nearest "cover up" message for a more major issue.

No other devices on the WiFi have this problem. There are three other Samsung devices (Note3, A5, S20 FE) and all have no problems. Not a problem with the WiFi itself.

Done the basic things - restarted the phone, removed all known WiFi networks, turned off intelligent features etc etc.

Issue still occurs.

At all costs possible, I would like to avoid performing a factory reset. It's a complicated process and will use up a weekend, which may lead to no fix.

Any advice?

Many thanks!
0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Try rebooting your router
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@PhoneHelperUK: Please can you try heading to Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > On > Tap the cog to the right of your router > Forget > Toggle Wi-Fi off, then on again > Select your router from the list of available networks, and fill in the required fields. Let me know if this helps. 

0 Likes
Jaish-M
First Poster
Options

I tried this method, but my home wifi keeps disconnecting and saying "incorrect password", but when I click on the wifi, it works without re-entering a password.

This issue started for me since the last Samsung OS update.

All my other devices connect to the wifi with no issues. Its not a router issue.

JordanS
Options

Even though other devices are unaffected, this doesn't rule out an issue with the router. It's good to cover all bases when diagnosing where the issue lies. If restarting your router hasn't helped, as suggested by @Pugs1957, test how your phone performs connecting to another router and see if the same issue persists. 

0 Likes
EsmereldaP
Student
Options

Having the same issue with my month-old A54. I can connect to other networks, but am retired, so don't spend a lot of time on other networks. It's not a router issue. I've rebooted the router. 

I can be connected for days and then all of a sudden it tells me it can't connect because the password is incorrect. I have not touched settings on my router and when I go in to my router and review the password and type EXACTLY as shown, I get the same error.

Oddly enough, I saw an option in settings for Wifi Direct and saw my Roku device, EVEN THOUGH I am supposedly disconnected from my Wifi, I was able to connect to my Roku. OBVIOUSLY that is NOT a router issue. It seems that I AM connected to my Wifi.

2 minutes later . . .I just trashed my router cache - it was not where you said above thread on my A54. For anyone else reading this, I had to go to Wifi Advanced Settings and then to Manage Networks and then click on my network and scroll down to the Trash icon. What a pain! Why wouldn't they make that more accessible as in other phones?

That worked and shows the connection again. Shall we take bets on how long until this happens again?? 

oneron
Student
Options

no it didn't

0 Likes
oneron
Student
Options

same here... on samsung a52

0 Likes
Gameskyjumper
First Poster
Options

Mine is A54. Had same issue. And I figured out. But you still needs a bit of testing.

Basically I realized it was an app acting up. I deleted 3 apps from my phone. Bestbuy app, X (Twitter) and then Atom (movie ticket app). Then I restart the phone. It works all night yesterday. No more wifi password is incorrect issue. But thing is I just can't tell you which of the 3 apps is the culprit. And I am not downloading them again just to test them out. You will have to look into it 

0 Likes
AkNick
Apprentice
Options

Both mine and my mom's A54 5G phones have been having the same issues. I believe it's a design flaw or software bug. It only started a few months after getting them and has been present since October-November 2023. Tried changing the wifi settings and all steps including resetting network settings without avail. We even switched from an AC router to a WiFi6 router and it still happened today. 

The one thing I can say is we do have some of the same apps including Bitdefender mobile security so maybe it's that??

Losing faith in Samsung devices after this latest headache (it hasn't happened to ANY of our other devices in house including an s10e and s24).

0 Likes