Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S21 Ultra one month real-world use review

(Topic created on: 07-04-2021 03:41 PM)
Guy41
Navigator
Options

So I've had the chance to be one of the first real owners of the S21 Ultra worldwide (reviewers excluded) and this is how I summarize my 1 month of use:

I received my unit roughly 10 days before the first pre-orders were shipped to customers. When I first received the ultra it was totally unusable. Camera would lag and stutter heavily, phone would heat and shut off after 5 minutes of video calls. I will cut Samsung some slack here because it is very much possible that the firmware was not yet fully ready. 
I had my 1st unit replaced for another one which came just as the (very quick) updates were starting to roll.

The improvement was incremental but very noticable with the heating issues resolved after updating to firmware AUB6.

The phone I have now (AUB9) is a totally different phone than the one I had initially received. 
I know that there are still quite a few customers who are still experiencing severe over-heating issues. Mine, however is honestly amazing now aside of a still few issues left with the camera.
I'll summarize here:

Pros:
*AMAZING screen. Seriously. Nothing I've seen comes close to this. It is very evident when watching videos and especially when playing games
*Gaming performance - top notch. No current AAA graphically-demanding game lags or stutters eve one bit during prolonged use
*Camera - excellent dynamic range, quick reliable focus, excellent colors. Very very versatile - from useful macro mode to very good zoom capability with good lighting. 108mp mode - TONS of details. 
*MUCH improved finger-print reader. Almost can't fault it.
*S-pen support - love it. Get one as soon as you can.

Cons:
*Battery - only average. Not nearly as advertised. Roughly 20-21 hours with mixed use (regular browsing, phone calls, 30 min gaming, a couple of youtube videos etc). I would emphasize I am on 5G with limited reception and that may impact battery life.
*Camera - portrait mode still very slow. It does create beautiful shots but there is heavy processing going on and it can stutter when it detects faces. Not good for when your kids move around, excellent for when your kids stay still.
*Camera - 108mp mode a bit slow. Probably to be expected
*Camera - software issues - no zoom lens choice when shooting UHD60 (SAMSUNG!! fix that bug already!)

I upgraded from S10+ which I loved. But this phone is a whole different thing. The screen itself, and the improvement in the versatility of the camera and the wonderful dynamic range alone justify imho the upgrade. 

*Caveat: one last thing. It is still unclear and Samsung has kept quite about it whether there are in fact batches of damaged phones that have overheating issues that are not software related. 

21 REPLIES 21
isko01
Pioneer
Options

Thx a lot you help me a lot :smiling-face:

So can you advise me, Snaodragon or Exynos S21U?

0 Likes
Guy41
Navigator
Options

Well I'm not sure. It does seem the SP version has fewer problems (esp. overheating ones) by customers accounts. Keep in mind that if you buy SD in the united states the 5G frequencies may not be compatible in Europe. 

0 Likes
Gionike
Voyager
Options
I've been having overheating issues from day one but after the last 3 updates it's been getting better in some areas. The video calls still takes the phone up to 48°C within few minutes. Even gaming like COD mobile. I don't understand why some phones are fixed (like urs) but some are still overheating like crazy (like mine). This is my 3rd phone by the way. EE replaced it for me. Samsung did give me the option for a repair service but I've heard from others who have done that here, that Samsung sends it back after while with a message saying the phone is fine and that there is no fault. I don't really want to send mine fir 2-3weeks only to find that they disagree. I wish there was a solution because I thought my phone was fine and that 47°c -49°c is exceptable when in gaming or video calls but when I hear people on here that say that their phones don't heat up anymore when in video calls I feel cheated.
0 Likes
Guy41
Navigator
Options

I agree, totally frustrating. Can you please check the following: all apps closed, video (not video call) UHD60 for 5 minutes straight. Check your cpu temp. Let me know, ill compare. 

0 Likes
Gionike
Voyager
Options
Thanks for replying. OK, I've just filmed uhd60 for 8mins (by mistake) and it was only 33°c. Which is good. All apps were closed.
0 Likes
Guy41
Navigator
Options

Well, thats good. Where did you get 49c? With Zoom? 

0 Likes
Gionike
Voyager
Options
Video calls on chrome app or WhatsApp.
0 Likes
Gionike
Voyager
Options
2nd test
Directors view (toggling between lenses)
All apps closed
Phone heated up to 41°c after 5mins
0 Likes
Guy41
Navigator
Options

I see, I think that's acceptable. 

0 Likes
Gionike
Voyager
Options
The 2nd test yes. But it's the video calls n gaming that is concerning for me. Your video calls doesn't go upto 48°c. Mine does. Gaming , ie COD Mobile goes upto 50°c after maybe 5-10mins.
0 Likes