Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S21 Ultra still throttles CPU after camera use (Feb. update)

(Topic created on: 09-02-2021 04:44 PM)
Guy41
Navigator
Options

Even after the February update the CPU still goes to ~40-42c with camera use. This causes a significant reduction in 3DMark scores. Would appreciate it if anyone can test that on his device. 3Dmark before camera, then 5-10 minutes of heavy camera use and the immediately running 3Dmark. Mine drops from ~5700 to ~3300. After cooling down returns to initial scores of course.

15 REPLIES 15
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
If the CPU is processing just before benchmarking... regardless of what it is... then this will drop the scores.

my scores below were done after a quick 'geekbench5' that was done first. I did a before and after geekbench.

typically I will get around 5200 to 5500 on 3DMark when the phone has been idle for a while...but you see my scores below at the start here were lower at 4664. This was due to the earlier geek test preceding this stress test.

Like I say...I won't over analyse these scores... benchmarks are not what the user experience is about ... these Geekbench and 3Dmark tests provide an unrealistic loading, and are intended to give some kind of repeatable platform to use for testing only.

The main reason I prefer to use these benchmarks, is to check there is nothing broken between software releases.

I mean, if the next software update shows a consistent drop to the overall 3Dmark scores of both mine and Michael's below from the ~3600 to 3800 that is shown below... then you know something has been changed (maybe for the worse).

I am sure it is a hard balancing act. CPU power creates heat. Heat creates angry customers. You can Reduce the CPU power and creates less heat. Less heat makes overheating issues better... however the Exynos processor performance drops against other manufacturers.

Unfortunately there are just some physics and engineering basics that just can't be bypassed.

The power - energy - heat trade off is a typical one across all platforms and devices. In a phone you can't even add in cooling by fans or large heatsinks...

Personally I have played shadow tombraider for an hour of gameplay without any frame issues or judder and the experience was smooth... I have also spent quite some time taking many photos and a couple of 10 minute videos... all to no consequence to the performance of the phone... with some warming effects but nothing over 44C maximum. I have watched a full length 2 hour movie on Netflix and the phone played it flawlessly... with a great screen rate.

These user experiences are more important than any benchmark 👍😃
- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
Guy41
Navigator
Options

Agreed. User experience is much more important, and I have absolutely no dip in overall performance after camera use, including gaming. But it is troubling to see the cpu going pedal to the metal everytime I use the camera (cpu temp reaches max of 45 though and not more). 

smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
yeah I agree... and probably a valid reason why it seems the temperature spikes quickly for some. mine has got 'very warm'... but not to the level of some.

I think there is still some optimising required by Samsung to get the formula right...
- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
They've pushed it harder since update. My scores in 3DMark.

Screenshot_20210210-003754_3DMark_1531.jpg

Screenshot_20210210-020102_3DMark.jpg

Screenshot_20210210-020110_3DMark.jpg

Screenshot_20210210-020049_3DMark.jpg

0 Likes
Laurian Stefan
Journeyman
Options

Hi there. How's everything right now? Did it get fixed after the latest updates, or are you still experiencing this? Thank you!

0 Likes
Vigo_AB
Student
Options

I have S20FE and the same issue. S21 Ultra on the way... ***** Samsung... Support treats people like ***** - wipe cache partition or send it to service... Bla bla bla... Why? If they know the problem? That's the lead smartphone manufacturer? That's a joke. My 7-year old Huawei or Xiaomi runs more smoothly then S20FE... 

0 Likes