Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S21 5G

(Topic created on: 14-09-2023 06:55 PM)
Blondie63
Explorer
Options

Screenshot_20230914_185706_Chrome.jpgHi

I have recently had a small pop up on the screen of my phone of a game tab that has a banner saying "Running in chrome". I've tried everywhere to find how to stop this but i cannot follow suggestions as i don't have an "advanced" section in settings to toggle off the stop running in the background. I thought it might have been because i was synched with my Samsung Chromebook but no! 

Its so annoying!! Any help would be greatly appreciated

18 REPLIES 18
Piper123
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I would suggest clearing cache and browsing history to see if removing the cookies will fix the issue for you 👌
keith30
Maestro
Options
Iv'e seen this problem reported a few times on here recently. I don't know what the answer can be throu.
PaulM1
Options

Hi there. @Blondie63. In addition to what @Piper123 has advised, have you had a chance to look at the guide below?:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-to-remove-ads-from-a-galaxy-smartphone/

Please let us know when you get the pop-up ads removed.

Blondie63
Explorer
Options
Hi guys. I did everything that was suggested last night that it got to the point where I didn't know what I'd turned on or off 🤣. I thought I'd cracked it but no, up it popped again. I lost the will & gave up. I'll keep looking and report back as doing as. Thanks guys 🌝
0 Likes
Blondie63
Explorer
Options
Hi. As a follow on. I thought Mcaffe was installed on a Samsung mobile? I can't find it in my apps. The situation with the pop ups/ads on screen are getting worse. I cannot delete or stop anymore apps. When I think its sorted, up it pops again. I'm thinking a factory reset is my only option or new phone. Grr!!!
0 Likes
PaulM1
Options

Hi, @Blondie63, and thanks for the update. A Factory reset might end up being the best solution.

I do have some other suggestions before you do this, however.

It would be a good idea at this stage to pop your S21 in to Safe Mode. This will disable any third-party applications, so that we can determine whether these are causing the issue.

To do this, press and hold the Power button until you see Power off, Restart and Emergency > Press and Hold the Power Off icon until it shows a Shield > Tap the Shield. After this, the S21 will start in Safe Mode.  

If the pop-up ads are not evident whilst in Safe Mode, then it suggests that these are being generated by a third-party app. To resolve this, exit Safe Mode, then begin uninstalling apps you've downloaded one by one (restarting the phone between each app uninstallation) until the issue fixes itself. Once you've identified the troublesome app, you can reinstall the other apps via the Galaxy/Google Play Store.

Should the issue persist, I recommend the next step.

Sometimes while browsing the web, an ad will take over your screen and tries to scare you into thinking your phone has been hacked, or otherwise prompts you to download other software. You can use Ad blockers in Samsung Internet to prevent pop-ups. Navigate to and open Samsung Internet, and then tap Menu (the three horizontal lines). Tap Ad blockers, and then choose the services you’d like to use. Tap the Download icon to begin downloading.

Please let us know whether this helps.

0 Likes
Blondie63
Explorer
Options
No unfortuanetly it didn't work. I had adblock on samsung internet & as the icon shows up on screen this is the pop up. I'm so frustrated. 😡1694890405700_1694890405690_0.jpgScreenshot_20230916_195230_Samsung Internet.jpg
0 Likes
PaulM1
Options

Ah, I see. Did you also load up your phone in Safe Mode and delete each third-party app, one-by-one, @Blondie63

Also, are you able to get any clues about which app is generating these pop-ups?

Blondie63
Explorer
Options
I did the safe mode today. That's what I mean I can't physically remove anymore. I removed old, new ,sleeping etc. I've not got a clue as to which app. I deleted all the new ones & the ones I use the most ie social media & nothing has worked. I'm usually OK at tech things but this is new to me.
0 Likes