Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Icons

(Topic created on: 29-07-2019 08:03 PM)
adamwebb28
Student
Options

Hi

I have just got a S10 5G on EE in the UK and am trying to understand what the two different 5g icons mean. 

One is 5g in a filled in box which seems to be proper 5g. The other is 5g in a square which the user manual says is "LTE network connected in LTE network that includes the 5G network". What does that mean? When the icon is showing the phone is no faster than a poor 4g signal.

Thanks. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
lholling
First Poster
Options

All is revealed in the manual

When it is a solid backgroud - 5G network connected (Galaxy S10 5G)
When it is a 5G outline - LTE network connected in LTE network that includes the 5G network (Galaxy S10 5G)

Page 54 of the following

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201905/20190528104306883/SM-G97X_UM_EU_Pie_Eng_Rev.1.0_...

View solution in context

5 REPLIES 5
James17
Student
Options

I would also be interested to know what the difference is.

Solution
lholling
First Poster
Options

All is revealed in the manual

When it is a solid backgroud - 5G network connected (Galaxy S10 5G)
When it is a 5G outline - LTE network connected in LTE network that includes the 5G network (Galaxy S10 5G)

Page 54 of the following

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201905/20190528104306883/SM-G97X_UM_EU_Pie_Eng_Rev.1.0_...

adamwebb28
Student
Options

Yes, but what does it mean?

James17
Student
Options

What's the purpose of telling me I'm connected to a 4G network that includes a 5G network? To indicate that a 5G network is nearby?

thisisausername
Journeyman
Options
I know that this was nearly two years ago but it's a technology known as Intersite, where you are connected to a 4G tower that is then getting a signal from a 5G tower and is then passing that to you, much better than using 4G on its own usually.