Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off Data for each app specifically

(Topic created on: 01-04-2021 04:21 PM)
ElectroVenom
Journeyman
Options

I want to completely disable some apps from using my mobile data, why is there no way to do this without work-arounds. The only thing you can do is disable background usage per app. Which is not a solution to my problem at all.

Imagine this, you're watching netflix and suddenly your wifi stops working, this causes you to stream using mobile data, and burn out your entire plan. If you could disable mobile data completely for netflix this would've made it impossible for this to happen.

The only solutions I have found for this problem is either external apps that work using a vpn, or using bixby routines to disable mobile data on certain apps. Why is this feature not on samsung phones natively, Iphones have it, other Androids have it. Why doesn't Samsung, makes me not want to buy a Samsung phone in the future.

18 REPLIES 18
karlosslim
Pioneer
Options
I had same issue and more and most of the issues were solved when I took bixby off as it seemed to take over the phone hope this helps
0 Likes
ElectroVenom
Journeyman
Options

Bixby has nothing to do with this, it's just samsung missing a very essential feature, now I have to use a third party app or a workaround which I don't want to have to do, I don't understand why samsung hasn't added this feature already.

karlosslim
Pioneer
Options
What third party app would you suggest
0 Likes
ElectroVenom
Journeyman
Options

I use netguard right now, it's just unacceptable that this functionality isn't in the os by default. I don't want to use netguard, but I have to because Samsung is just missing such a rudimentary feature.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

A bit more about Netguard here, though personally have not tried it myself yet.   personally have  not found much of a wifi problem with streaming services but appreciate it could be an issue.   https://shustechs.com/block-internet-android-netguard/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

AndrewL
Options

@ElectroVenom: What I'd recommend is heading to Settings > Connections > Data Usage > Data Saver > On. Now, head to Settings > Apps > Netflix (as an example) > Mobile Data > Allow Background Data Usage > Off. You could also head to Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > Tap the 3 dots in the top right > Advanced > Switch To Mobile Data > Off, to avoid any unnecessary data usage. I hope this helps. 

ElectroVenom
Journeyman
Options

This is not a solution at all, this only disables background usage, it is unacceptable that I can't turn off mobile data for each app individually without a work around or third party apps, nearly every other android distro has this and apple also had this. I'm just confused why such a basic feature isn't included in the samsung android distribution. 

Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
I use an app called Netguard, it sets up a vpn and uses that as a firewall to restricts apps abilities to access data, both via wifi and cellular data, you can toggle them individually. There is many more featured on it, it is free and open source, and i swear by it, been using it for years.

Screenshot_20210401-183522_NetGuard.jpg

Screenshot_20210401-183443_NetGuard.jpg

0 Likes
ElectroVenom
Journeyman
Options

I use netguard aswell, I just think that it's unacceptable that such a basic feature isn't in the os