Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Health app step counter not showing new watch only

(Topic created on: 14-04-2020 11:59 AM)
Cscott0108
Apprentice
Options

So for the longest time I have had a Samsung Gear S2 watch. Recently, and by "recently" this was last February, I bought the 42 mm Galaxy Watch and got it all setup and switched to the new watch and completely removed the Gear S2. Since then my step counter has had an issue. I can select "All Steps" and it shows the steps from my phone and Galaxy Watch. Just the Mobile device which shows my steps according to the phone itself and the option for my old watch Gear S2. If I select the 3rd option it shows no steps. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall shealth but the S2 still shows as recent thought it doesn't exist at all in the phone. Any idea how to get this corrected?

I have also removed and reset up my watch recently due to other issues which ended up having to send into Samsung repair team for mobo replacement. I hoped this would have fixed it but it did not. I then attempted to remove shealth with same behavior. Any help appreciated.

Edit: I recently bought a new phone and once I had set it up and got it the way I likedit, I launched Samsung Health. Once it was synced, The old S2 was there and not my new one. Would like help.

15 REPLIES 15
MatthewJHYates
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue even with a new installation of Samsung Health on a new phone. My old galaxy gear watch is listed and there is no way to set up my new watch, even though all my watch data EXCEPT step data is clearly being synchronised.

BigChungus13
First Poster
Options

Same thing is happening to me with my old S3. I'm not sure if there has been a solution yet. I was hoping coming here would be the answer. Really unfortunate.

astroturtle
Student
Options

This issue is still happening, and there is no way to resolve it that I have been able to find. When I register my Gear Sport and go to "Select step data to show" it appears only on the "Gear Sport and Phone" option. The only stand-alone watch in the list is my old Gear Fit2 Pro. I went so far as to erase my Samsung Health fitness data, reinstall the Health and Wearable apps, and registered both the Gear Sport and the Gear Fit2 Pro in Galaxy Wearable app, so both watches are available. When I switch from one watch to the other, the "...and phone" option changes to the paired watch as expected, but the stand-alone watch option never changes from the Gear Fit2 Pro. Since there is no way to select the Gear Sport by itself, no steps are counted in the step counter when I use this watch. I tried this on a Samsung S10+, S9, Note 8 all with the same results. The S9 was even factory reset and still had the same problem. 

Samsung support, people have been complaining about this issue for over 3 years. We need a fix for this bug... Until then I'm switching to my Fitbit Charge 5. 😞

astroturtle
Student
Options

Here is the reply I received from Samsung Support on this issue:

Gear Sport is applied by One UI, which shows total steps from all sources, including your phone and any connected watch.

Once the wearable and mobile devices are connected, your total step count will be automatically calculated based on the steps recorded by both devices, while filtering the duplicated steps which both devices (mobile and watch) detected at the same time.

Therefore, please note that step counts does not increase in real-time when mobile and watch are connected, since it takes time (usually around 1 minute) to integrate step data from both devices.

Since Gear Fit2 Pro does not support One UI, the device appears alone in [Select step data to show] menu.

So basically, there is and will be no option to receive step counts from the watch alone from the Gear watch, and this is by design. This is a terrible solution and regardless of using OneUI or not, the option to collect steps only from the watch should be available. This is about as basic as it gets!

Because of this, those of us to who like to wear different watches, are simply out of luck. For example, I like to switch between my FitBit Charge 5 and my Samsung Gear and use an app to sync the totals to Google Fit. Samsung has made it impossible to wear my FitBit and have Samsung Health installed as this leads to overcounting steps, since the only option allowed is to have the Gear watch + Phone steps counted. When I wear my FitBit, the Samsung Health app still counts steps, leading to massive overcounting (roughly double) by the end of the day.

There is no solution coming for this, so if you like to wear different watches, you can go pound sand as far a Samsung is concerned. This has convinced me to sell my Samsung watch devices and stick with my FitBit. I'm never buying another Samsung watch again. 

Cscott0108
Apprentice
Options

That is a dumb solution indeed. There are going to be times where the step data doesn't match exactly and it will have a duplication affect. That said. I have 2 Samsung Galaxy Watch3's I got two, by accident but it allows me to track my sleeping habits as well as my daily / Workout habits in a near 24 hour day. They do sync the steps from one watch to the other seamlessly. This won't work with non Samsung devices. But what you said I can, partly accept as a response as I know what they are doing. But, what is crazy and what I can't accept is, that it still references the Gear S2 in the step data to show. I'm now on the latest software, I haven't had the watch for over 3 years yet it is still being referenced in the steps settings. And if I select it, of course, there is no step data. At this point the watch should be removed from sHealth and not persistent as it is now. The countless updates to the software something here should have changed for that.

MikeOxlong86
First Poster
Options
THIS!!!! Set up my s23 ultra. S Health now tracking my gear fit from 2018 in the step counter 🙄 pathetic they havent fixed it1709790511409.jpg
0 Likes