Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Samsung really Global?

(Topic created on: 18-02-2020 09:46 PM)
HairyScot
First Poster
Options

Are there any differences between the Samsung mobile devices sold throughout the world?

Samsung customer service staff in New Zealand certainly think so.

I have a Gear S2 Classic (SM-R732) which was purchased at Dubai International Airport.

The rear cover recently got broken and I'd like to get a replacement.

However the people at Samsung NZ maintain that due to differences between my watch and those sold in NZ they cannot help me. I'll have to go to the UAE to get the necessary parts.

To me that sounds insane.

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is actually Samsung's policy?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
DannyT
Options

Hey @HairyScot, Samsung is a global brand. 

However, there are some differences in how the products are made from region to region. This is due to the regional differences, such as certain networks in some countries not working with the processors used in some products.

Here in the UK, we do have a process for getting products from other regions repaired. The repair process is usually a lot longer and it doesn't, unfortunately, work for all products. We'd advise getting in touch with Samsung NZ to see if they have a similar process in place. 

Welcome to the Community!

0 Likes
HairyScot
First Poster
Options

@DannyT wrote:

Hey @HairyScot, Samsung is a global brand. 

However, there are some differences in how the products are made from region to region. This is due to the regional differences, such as certain networks in some countries not working with the processors used in some products.

Here in the UK, we do have a process for getting products from other regions repaired. The repair process is usually a lot longer and it doesn't, unfortunately, work for all products. We'd advise getting in touch with Samsung NZ to see if they have a similar process in place. 

Samsung NZ has been singularly unhelpful on this issue, as it was on a previous issue some time ago.

The credo there seems to be, if you didn't buy it in NZ then we will not help you.

Since the Gear S2 Classic uses only Bluetooth then your point about processors won't really apply.
The rear cover is most likely standard across all versions of the watch and is in fact freely available from a number of sites.

One such site is:-

https://rounded.com/samsung-galaxy-gear-s2-classic-sm-r732-back-cover-platinum-gh82-10955a.html?sl=e...

I think the major problem is that help desk staff tend to operate from a script and anything that falls outside their comfy little bubble is shunted aside with some or other feeble excuse.

0 Likes
HairyScot
First Poster
Options
@DannyT
I had thought that I was dealing with just a case of parochialism and insularity from Samsung NZ.
It shocks me to think that this seems to be Samsung's policy.
A strange policy for a global brand. Especially one whose products are offered for sale in the departure areas of international airports.
If I buy a Rolex or an Omega watch, an Apple iPod or iPad, or products from Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic and the like then I can be confident that I will receive the same service and support in any country where those companies have an agency or a branch.
Does Samsung warn people buying its products at international airports that they may not receive full service and support at their destinations.
0 Likes
HairyScot
First Poster
Options

Is there any chance that anyone at Samsung will see this thread and perhaps come up with a logical response?

0 Likes