Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Is network branding slows down receive updates?

(Topic created on: 08/04/21 18:32)
the_bart123
First Poster
Options
Mobile Apps & Services

Hi there,

I am new in Android world. I used to receive iOS updates about few minutes after they released (or even SECONDS if Apple servers not slow down).

Now I got Galaxy S20 5G and I know there are delays with receiving security updates - like NOT seconds or minutes - but like days, weeks and even months!

Currently I know Pixel 3,4 and 5 received 1 April 2021 update....... on  1 April....... Samsung...... well - it is 8th April - silence - no update - there are news people with S20 started to receive it yesterday - me........ NOTHING.

Is it because I have O2 network branding in it?

Thank You and wish me luck - I will need it to receive that update

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16
Joeeye
Troubleshooter
Options
Mobile Apps & Services
Unfortunately updates are usually done in batches. The S21 Ultra being Samsungs latest got the April update on 29 March. However phones like my Note 10+ 5G are still on the February security patch (other Note 10 models have received the one ui 3.1 update already). The only thing you can do is be patient.
0 Likes
ghosty
Voyager
Options
Mobile Apps & Services
Sometimes it's good to let others install the updates first and post if there are any problems to avoid 😁
0 Likes
the_bart123
First Poster
Options
Mobile Apps & Services

When my smartphone where I hold a lot of money  in few "money handling" apps - INSTANT security updates are MORE than important.

Being patient? Imagine you risk loosing a lot of money because I do NOT want to release updates on time - and I tell you.......... be patient!

0 Likes
the_bart123
First Poster
Options
Mobile Apps & Services

True - but........ better have dead smartphone than someone will steal money from my money handling apps

0 Likes
ghosty
Voyager
Options
Mobile Apps & Services
You may want to switch to iOS or pixel if security updates are your priority, those two will be the best bet for updates
0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
Mobile Apps & Services
Unlike Apple, there isn't just 1 series of devices, but hundreds, different brands, different models. And each one requires modifications and optimisation, and this is done both on a brand level, but also a model level, and also individual networks like to make changes or review the update before they send it out.
All of this is the cause for the delays.
0 Likes
the_bart123
First Poster
Options
Mobile Apps & Services

true - but I did not know spending £1000/$1000 will be cheated like that 😞

0 Likes
the_bart123
First Poster
Options
Mobile Apps & Services

But there is just ONE Android - or am I wrong?

0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
Mobile Apps & Services
Yes there is 1 android, but no manufacturers use just stock android, they only use it as a base for their own version. The closest you can get to stock android on a phone will be in Google Pixel devices, which is also why they get updates first, they barely need modifying.
0 Likes