Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Assistant - Doesn't work properly since recent update

(Topic created on: 30-06-2021 10:55 PM)
DinkyPanda
First Poster
Options

My phone received the most recent update on Monday and since then it has affected Google Assistant/Bixby.
For certain tasks its now asking me to unlock my phone, even though the setting to use phone while locked is turned on.

So, it will:

Call/text my mum with screen locked

Call/text my dad with screen locked

Call my brother, but will not text him with screen locked

Will not open spotify with screen locked.

I have even gone as far as setting up Bixby and I am having a similar issue, except Bixby PRETENDS to text my brother but actually doesnt and still will not open spotify.

Why when the setting is turned on to use phone while locked is it asking me to unlock my phone??

It makes no difference whether it is attached to my bluetooth or not.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
Mimo40
Helping Hand
Options
Have you tried doing a soft reset? Or clearing the phone cache? Try these first and see what happens
DinkyPanda
First Poster
Options

Sorry to sound daft but how do I clear my phone's cache?

0 Likes
Mimo40
Helping Hand
Options
What phone are you using?
0 Likes
DinkyPanda
First Poster
Options

Oh god, stupid me.
Samsung Galaxy S10+

0 Likes
Welshy-a53-5G
Pioneer
Options
I've noticed that when my screen is on and phone is unlocked I say the phrases to activate google assistant and it works but the little pop up that usually shows doesn't, although it works when my screen is off and phone is locked, I'm able to swipe up and get the little pop up, it's as if the pop up is being blocked when my screen is on and phone is unlocked, haven't found a fix for it other than to turn up my volume so instead of reading the text I can hear the assistant speaking.
0 Likes
Mouse7
Pathfinder
Options
I had the same problem, no pop up window. google gave me the usual advice restart phone reset app clear cache nothing google recommended worked finally uninstalled the app updates and switched off auto update for the app in the Play Store. Now assistant is working as normal.
Welshy-a53-5G
Pioneer
Options
Might have to give it a go then, I uninstalled but nothing else.
0 Likes
Mouse7
Pathfinder
Options
If you uninstall the updates without turning off auto update then it will reinstall almost immediately.